Table saw advise? £500 budget!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dalejones

Established Member
Reaction score
I got £500 to spend and I want a good quality cast iron top table saw, any advise on which one to get or which one to steer clear of? Thanks

Hello,

Avoid anything new!

Used Wadkin, Startrite, Sedgwick lots of others too, but all almost always 3 phase, so if you have 3 phase electrics you are spoilt for choice. If you have only single phase, you'll have to budget in a motor change, or inverter. They do come up single phase occasionally (very occasionally) but command higher prices. I think you'll struggle getting a single phase, quality cast iron TS for £500 all in unless you take on a project for restoration.

Mike.

I chose an old startrite 275 for a few reasons
It has a 3hp dual voltage three phase motor which I plan to run off another huanyang inverter .
It has a slot for a mitre guage each side of the blade ..so handy for a crosscut sled designs
It tilts 45 degrees .mine has a sliding table and has a good depth of cut.
Its movable on yer own in a small car .
You need to level it as its the base is a bit flimsy so look for rust at the floor.
There very plentiful too,so you could get a bargain
Personally that would not deter me though !
Good luck

Dalejones":2unx0chz said:
I got £500 to spend and I want a good quality cast iron top table saw, any advise on which one to get or which one to steer clear of? Thanks
New or used?

Sent from my MI 3W using Tapatalk

Bodgers":ufvkk6bp said:
Dalejones":ufvkk6bp said:
New or used?

I don't really mind has to be single phase was looking at the TS200 anyone had one of these?

if you can accommodate a 2nd hand solid machine then I would go for a startrite, multico or wadkin ags. Also consider kity or scheppach (when they were good!).

Dalejones":1crqnnaa said:
Bodgers":1crqnnaa said:
Dalejones":1crqnnaa said:
New or used?

I don't really mind has to be single phase was looking at the TS200 anyone had one of these?

Why does it have to be a single phase ?
Have you issues with your employees legitimately using it ?...
Guessing not,if your budget is 500 quid .

As I said before, the startrite 275 has a dual voltage motor
If yer lookin for a single phase motor yer lookin to throw your money away .
Can your supply manage the starting current of a 3hp single phase motor ?
Just another reason to use three phase motors in conjunction with a VFD
You'll never go back once you've tried
T

I've got the TS200. Works well. Induction motor is quiet.

Mine had some issues to start with and had to go back but Axminster sorted it.

The fence isn't the best and I would like a smoother one but it's a good quality saw for the money

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dalejones":2dht5qxl said:
Bodgers":2dht5qxl said:
Dalejones":2dht5qxl said:
New or used?

At 500 or under, the TS200 (or at a push the TS250) are your only choices for new machine with a cast iron table and an induction motor.

I have a TS200, there can be some QA issues on some units. After sorting the fence, mine is pretty decent. There are plenty of threads on the forum about this model, so support is great. The fence is better on the Mk2.

Other than that, you are down to buying a site style saw with a universal motor and a aluminium top.

Personally, I discounted second hand as there was so much variability on the condition of stuff out there, and I just didn't have the confidence that I would be able to sort potential problems. Prices weren't exactly keen either on the stuff I was looking at.

£500 will just about get you a secondhand Kity 619 or 1619, a very nice 'modern' saw.
It's a cast aluminium top rather than cast iron but you wouldn't notice the difference, apart from it won't rust (and you can't use magnetic accessories!).
look here

At that sort of price point the best you could hope for IMHO is a Wadkin AGS. I have a similar machine bought for the same money and it is brilliant. Night and day when compared to modern Far East made machines available for the same cost. Single phase too. They are out there but you might need to be patient.

Like already mentioned old is gold you should be able to get a single phase startrite or wadkin AGS for that money.

Back