Table Cracking up

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kerrierman

Reaction score
Hi I made a kitchen table ( out of pine 100 yr old at least )about 7 months later it started to crack not on my joins but in the middle of the planks, what could I have done to prevent this happening, as I now have to make another

Attachments

• table 003a.jpg
    table 003a.jpg
    169.2 KB · Views: 646
How are the planks held into the ends. If they are not free to expand and contract then this will be the cause.

Right that explains it they are I used dowels because they get a tighter fit than biscuits, what other way could I have joined it ? so are you saying fix the sides and leave the ends free to expand.

don't do the frame construction on your table because timber shrinks more across its width than length. u have the end grain fastened into long grain the end grain can't move laterally so the board must crack to allow for shrinkage. next time don't hide the end grain and use groves and buttons in the rails to connect the table top to the base.

You'd expect that framed top to have (stable) faced ply in the middle, not solid wood. A solid top will move (as has been said above) so the "breadboard" ends you have fitted must allow for this - only fixed/glued in the middle.
I'd just stick to edge joined boards if I was you. Just plain butted and glued; no dowels, tongues or other joint system. Then fix this to the aprons with loosely screwed-on buttons, allowing for movement.

Bread board end joint in pictures. You can see how the middle peg is tight and the two end one are elongated to allow movement across the grain.

Hope this helps

JH

Back