T/Saw am I at fault

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sooty

Established Member
Reaction score
Took the T/S outside today thought I would have a play with it can't use it in the shed not enough room?

It works beautifully with soft wood, but when I had a go at cutting hardwood i.e. laburnum and iroko?

I could smell burning when I finished the cut, I looked at the ends and there is a black burn mark on each piece

The wood I was cutting was quite thin four pieces of 1/2"x1" clamped together on a mitre sled to make 2"x1" when I put pine on the sled it seems to go through like butter.

This is the first T/S I have owned and dont know if I am at fault or I need a good blade?
If you think it may be the blade can you recommend a good all round blade?
p.s. If I cut hardwood on my CMS I have no problems

Phil

It sounds as though you could do with a brand-new blade. If you can afford it, then go for either a Freud or CMT blade. Saying that, I just purchased an Axcalibur blade from Axminster (listed as "Perform") for my SCMS and I'm really impressed with the quality.

You don't mention which saw you have, but generally people find that any blade supplied with a table saw is worth replacing (same with bandsaws). Which mitre saw do you have? Sometimes the blades are of a better quality on them, depending on how much you spend.

Whilst the blade is the first suspect, check also if the blade is exactly parallel to the slot in the table.
To do this roughly, measure from one tooth level with the table nearest to you. rotate the blade by hand until the same tooth is level with the table furthest from you and measure again adjust until both are the same. (stand as if you were cutting with the saw in both cases).

Fine adjustment check. Cross cut a small piece of wood on the mitre gauge with the blade as high as possible and then take it on past the cutting edge to the rear of the blade. You should hear it touching the teeth but not cutting any more off. If it is not touching the blade at all then adjust a small amout and retry.

hth

Bob

OPJ
My T/S is a MacAllister (B&Q).
My SCMS is a Rexon and I cannot fault it.
I use Axcalibur blades on my bandsaw (Ryobi) and quite like them.
When I get a new blade how many teeth should I get I want to rip occasionally and do tenons on the saw.

9fingers
check also if the blade is exactly parallel to the slot in the table
did this and within 0.3mm
Phil

When I was using a cheapo Nutool saw, I found using a narrow kerf blade was a help as it took a lot of strain off the small motor, not having to remove as much material. It was a CMT blade that I bought from Axminster.

Might be worth considering.

regards

Brian

Back