T/O plywood?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
£120 for BB grade seems punchy, my second local place, which is not the cheapest, has BB for £107 a sheet and B/BB for £168 a sheet. The latter is a bit eye watering, but I guess that B grade face is pricey. My local lace no longer seems to have birch ply sadly, they were pretty cheap.

Linus, my experience of "hardwood" ply is it's a fag paper thickness of face veneer over some pretty rough interior plys. Definitely not in the same league as birch.

How is Baltic birch doing over there? We used to buy a bunch and it all came from the Kamchuck Plywood company. In general, the euro stuff is metric and came in 5 foot by 5 foot sheets. The Russian stuff usually came in at 4 ft by 8 fy sheets and was dimensioned imperial. I hate to even ask what availability is right now. COVID supply chain issues were a problem and now with this Putin thing, I think our use of Baltic birch is done.

An alternative no where as good comes from China. It’s core is trash rubber wood trees with extremely thin layers of birch on top. Smells like an old rotten inner tube when cut. Horrid material!

Baltic birch is produced in Latvia and Finland as well as Russia. I think it'll go up in price but I'm not expecting it to vanish.

The B/BB I mentioned is Baltic for instance and seems about the same price it has been all winter.

In the early days we got the euro stuff. Metric 5 by 5s. Then we went to the Russian stuff as we could get 4 by 8s which improved yield a lot. But one difference we did come across was glue. The Russian stuff used resorcinol while the euro stuff had more formaldehyde.

Here we have Apple ply. Not really apple as it’s a name only. It’s as American as apple ply. LOL
The apple ply we bought had maple top and bottom veneers. You can get it in a variety of different outer veneers. Wonderful stuff but Friggin Expensive. So not the best for substrates.

But likely still required puppy logs to be imported . I have never seen 4 by 8s coming from other countries.

Your correct about Finland and Latvia. Looks like the supply chain issue will keep our lead times floating and pricing subject to market conditions.

I wish our leaders and Putin would think about how their actions affect small business esp the small shops. We will not buy any more 4 by 8s to do our thing. And we will require paperwork now on all Baltic birch. Our customers are demanding it.

Latest posts

Back