Syphoning Diesel

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrPhill

Cyber Heretic
Reaction score
My old car seems to be destined for the scrapyard. It has half a tank (20-25 litres? £30?) diesel still in it. Is it worth me trying to recover this..... does syphoning work? what do I need to buy? has anyone here done it?

Any thoughts welcome (and yes I am tight!).

Worth doing as £30 don't grow on trees.

But I wouldn't really try syphoning - be easier to get underneath and find the 2 file lines (flow & return) that come out of the tank - these hopefully should be rubber - undo the jubilee\whatever clips and if you remove the filler cap - it should flow out of the line, you've intercepted.

HIH

Dibs

Yes, I did this when I changed my last diesel car (actually a pickup). It had about £70 of diesel in it and I bought a cheap plastic hand syphon from the local DIY store. The main problem was that the pipe to go into the fuel tank was too short and not flexible enough for the convoluted route from the filler cap to the fual tank. The use of a bit of garden hose and some gaffer tape soon sorted it and I took £50 worth of diesel out into jerry cans - used in the new vehicle and my compact tractor.

A messy business and the diesel started to rot the gaffer tape (any longer and I might have "lost" the length of hose inside the filler pipe. Fortunately I got away with it!!

Would I do it again - yes, if it could save me £50.

some vehicles have an anti syphoning widget in the neck of the tank for obvious reasons. If you can feed a length of hose pipe into the tank and blow bubbles then you can syphon it, as long as the out end of the hose is lower than the in end. suck until the fuel gets over the highest point in the tube and away you go. (although invariably you will end up with a gobful of diesel!)

No need to suck. If you can blow bubbles then yes to syphoning but instead of sucking you can pressurise the tank slightly. Use a compressor, put the air hose into the top of the tank along with the syphon hose. Seal the top, some rags will do fine packed in very tight and slight pressure will push the fuel over the highest point of the syphon hose and Bobs yer uncle.

Not a sucker in sight 8) 8) 8)

Thanks for all the replies. I think that with the equipment to hand it would be worth doing,........ It certainly seems as if I am not the only one that thinks of these things (my beloved was shocked that I even considered it). I like the idea of using an airline to pressurise the tank to avoid drinking diesel - (note to self - must get an air line). I tried to look for the fuel pipes, but could not move around easily under the car (note to self - must by some wheel ramps).

As it happens, the scrap man offerred me more than scrap value for the car, and I pushed him up another £50 for the diesel. He probably got a good deal - he will tart it up and sell it on at a profit - that is part of his job. But I will not have to deal with tire-kickers, or worry about the upcoming costs (include cam belt, seatbelt, window seals, and possibly PAS which played up a little last winter). I am glad that the car will get some more use, and equally glad that I did not sell it to a private buyer in a town this small........

Next time I will run around close to empty when thinking of changeing cars.

Dibs-h":h2a9st29 said:

But I wouldn't really try syphoning - be easier to get underneath and find the 2 file lines (flow & return) that come out of the tank - these hopefully should be rubber - undo the jubilee\whatever clips and if you remove the filler cap - it should flow out of the line, you've intercepted.

HIH

Dibs

I used an old beer-brewing siphon/pump for petrol salvaging. After three scrapped cars, eventually the petrol ruined the plastic, but it saved me a few bob.

I have an electric vacuum pump (bought for peanuts) and in the past, have connected it to the fuel lines in the engine bay and put a demijohn in line 1st - it pulls fuel out ever so easily. :wink:

Dibs

I used to live in the middle of a field... No 'leckie! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yep Dibs. Your way would work. But the old syphon was quick, and I didn't have anything to set up. Nor did I have to 'suck' anything. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Dibs-h":3ey9yit1 said:

HIH

Dibs

Around my way when they steal fuel they don't syphon. They just cut the fuel line underneath and put a can under. Makes it super annoying when you go to start the car and see there is no fuel then walk 3 miles to the garage and pour it in to see it come out underneath. :evil: :evil: :evil:

When i syphon liquids i use a pice of garden hose ,i put a piece of string down the hose and tie a piece of cloth to the end thread it into the tank and blow until i hear bubbles then pull the string out and it forms the syphon and you don't end up up spitting diesel.

Edit ......I've just see this at Lidl ... http://www.lidl.co.uk/static_content/li ... 0_01_b.jpg

Jonzjob":3nioipnc said:
No need to suck. If you can blow bubbles then yes to syphoning but instead of sucking you can pressurise the tank slightly. Use a compressor, put the air hose into the top of the tank along with the syphon hose. Seal the top, some rags will do fine packed in very tight and slight pressure will push the fuel over the highest point of the syphon hose and Bobs yer uncle.

Not a sucker in sight 8) 8) 8)

That is such a brilliant idea!

Back