Sycamore Storage

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's normally best to cut sycamore logs on cold winter mornings send the boards straight to kilning to prevent them from turning pinks, however if kilning isn't possible then you can stand the boards on their ends, this is known as end-racking and means that the moisture will move towards the bottom of the boards therefore reducing the probability of it turning pink.

and I take it, if it's already gone bad, it's not going to get better? i.e it won't go clear again.

In which case, all the more reason to stain it black. :D

Cut your boards a little oversized for what you need for checking.It seems every time I cut a board that has been out in that condition it has water still in it and moves a bit to end cracking.Get it out of the damp,but if it were me I would sell it and use the money to buy some dry wood.Spalded wood is sought after here,it makes nice pieces.

Unfortunately as soon as it's gone pink there's no changed it back, having said that you could try bleaching it but I don't know how much that would improve the colour.

Sycamore is one of those timbers that quickly degraded, even if you manage to kiln it in time it's shelf life won't be great and therefore it needs selling and converting to a finished product pretty quickly. We try to buy our sycamore around this time of year as the cold morning are getting more common, any stocks that's left by summer will go on special as miss matched boards or degrade to make space for the following winters cutting.

We don't keep spalted boards and until a few years back a lot of sawmills would simply destroy the spalted boards as they were seen as poor quality stock. The big head turner is always the rippled sycamore, we always aim to get our hands on some good quality rippled logs, these often sell before cutting as some people like to buy in advanced knowing that the cutting season is nearly upon us.

The_Stig":1bclygb2 said:
Sycamore is one of those timbers that quickly degraded, even if you manage to kiln it in time it's shelf life won't be great and therefore it needs selling and converting to a finished product pretty quickly.

Are you saying that one wouldn't buy (kiln dried) sycamore if it was going to sit around in the shop for months (assuming temp\humidity in the shop didn't cause it to alter the moisture content)?

The_Stig":1nmbf7g1 said:
Unfortunately as soon as it's gone pink there's no changed it back, having said that you could try bleaching it but I don't know how much that would improve the colour.

Sycamore is one of those timbers that quickly degraded, even if you manage to kiln it in time it's shelf life won't be great and therefore it needs selling and converting to a finished product pretty quickly. We try to buy our sycamore around this time of year as the cold morning are getting more common, any stocks that's left by summer will go on special as miss matched boards or degrade to make space for the following winters cutting.

We don't keep spalted boards and until a few years back a lot of sawmills would simply destroy the spalted boards as they were seen as poor quality stock. The big head turner is always the rippled sycamore, we always aim to get our hands on some good quality rippled logs, these often sell before cutting as some people like to buy in advanced knowing that the cutting season is nearly upon us.

How does buying a log of rippled from you work? Would I buy the log and then you convert and dry the stuff or do people just take the log away?

Miles

I'm interested that going pink is the issue, Stig; I always understood it was grey staining that was the problem. Technical term? Or have I just had it buttocks about face all this time. (I'm betting on the latter, btw... :D )

Cheers, Alf

Myself I wouldn't waste my time making furniture with this timber, even if joints avoid the bad bits. You wait until you put it on a tablesaw to rip, you can expect all sorts of trouble, the least it might bend your blade.
And I think this timber might have a bit of an odour unless bedroom is well ventilated?

After all, it is rotten wood.

It's not that far gone John. It's just a bit stained at present. Which is why I want to stop it going any further.

Alf, I assumed pink was referring to the staining? Stig?

I'm interested that going pink is the issue, Stig; I always understood it was grey staining that was the problem. Technical term? Or have I just had it **** about face all this time. (I'm betting on the latter, btw... )

I'm getting all tied in myself, the pinkness is caused by water staining the boards since its not been kilned quick enough. The greyness is caused by weathering, grey sycamore is sometimes called hare-wood.

Back