Sycamore Storage

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wizer

Established Member
Reaction score
Following on from Miles' post a while back. This is one of my loose ends that never got tied before the op, that never happened (confused?).

I decided to chop up the 6inch board today

DSC_0066.JPG

It was 6ft long 21inches wide and 6 inches thick. It's now cut into bowl blanks (yes, bowl blanks).

However, I noticed that it's got some heavy staining right through the board. Noticeable on the cut edges:

DSC_0068.JPG

Thes rest of these boards are to be used for bedroom furniture in the new year (probably mid spring now) and I'm a bit concerned about them. The intention is for them to be stained or painted black, so the staining is not so much of a problem. But I'm a bit concerned that they may continue to spalt or rot in their current location

DSC_0065.JPG

At the moment they are not in stick and, at over 13 foot, they are too long to be stored upright anywhere.

So the question is this. Will they remain stable over the winter under the tarps on my concrete (sloping) drive? They are up on 28mm hardwood blocks to let the water run under them.

Or should I cut them into manageable pieces and store them in my garden shed? To do this, they'd have ot be cut down to something like 5-6ft.

My concern with that is the old addage "Keep is as long as possible for as long as possible". That said, none of the furniture it's intended for will need a part more than 4.5-5ft.

Comments Views?

oh and if anyone has a spare hand, my buttocks needs wiping :shock: :lol:

I'd rough cut to length and get them indoors.

Any chance of storing under beds, even if you block the beds up on a brick under each leg to make room?

Still use sticks to keep the slabs up off the floor. Turn them over each time you turn the matress as a reminder.

Bob

Tom,

with a little effort (or neglect) you could actually get those boards to spalt. If they are already stained through, then you might be better off trying for spalting, because they won't be wonderful for furniture. You might be lucky and get spalting started just by keeping them under the tarp for the winter............thats how mine were stored, albeit on soil rather than concrete, and they spalted profusely.

You nutters sorry turners love a bit of spalting, I'm told. :D :D

Mike

They will be ruined and unusable by the time you're well enough to use them, no matter what you do.

Better give them to me to avoid wastage. :wink:

No bloody wonder you've got a bad back, lumping dirty great bits of timber like that around. :roll: [-X

Mike Garnham":117ianf8 said:
You nutters sorry turners love a bit of spalting, I'm told. :D :D

Mike

Actually I'm not overly keen on spalting Mike. As I say, the furniture will be black, whatever wood I use. So it might as well be this stuff which is a cloudy mixture of grey, black and yellow.

I think I need to bite the bullet and chop them up. Storing them in the house is highly unlikely. I guess I could devote some space in the (heated) workshop, but I'd rather not.

I know Mark. I was being careful and moved the wood by dancing it end for end shuffle shuffle, kinda thing. I'm hoping to get the old man to help me shift the rest. But he's waiting for a shoulder op. Weak bones in our family :D

turning the 2 foot bowls will be fun. Maybe I should save that for the bash :lol:

Me to. What's happened about the operation, if you don't mind me asking?
Belay that Tom, just caught up with 'tother thread. The off/on bit's bloody murder isn't it?

Roy.

Digit":taa4zb80 said:

Me to. What's happened about the operation, if you don't mind me asking?

hes decided to save the NHS money by letting us do the op at the next bash - a nice bit of walnut inserted in a secret dovetail on the discs, a few dominos between them, and a litre or two of grip fill in the gaps - clamp up with dakota sash cramps and leave to set and he'll be right as rain ;) :lol:

Full of understanding and sympathy as ever Pete!

I reckon that Tom should get on and make a bed so that next time they say they don't have a bed for him, he can supply his own!

Bob

hehe when I was seeing Red the other night when they told me I thought about ringing them back and saying I'd bring my own bed. I know a man who has one in his workshop ;)

9fingers":342gktpn said:

Thats just the kinda guy i am ;)

actually i tend to think its better to make light of it - my sister has had M.E for about 14 years and we find its better to laugh and cheer her up than dwell on how serious and awful the whole thing is - Like wise when the doc was tinkering with my testes last week, as he injected the anaesthetic he said "just a little prick" and i came back with "thats not what the girls say" ;)

big soft moose":400zw8v5 said:
9fingers":400zw8v5 said:

Thats just the kinda guy i am ;)

actually i tend to think its better to make light of it - my sister has had M.E for about 14 years and we find its better to laugh and cheer her up than dwell on how serious and awful the whole thing is - Like wise when the doc was tinkering with my testes last week, as he injected the anaesthetic he said "just a little prick" and i came back with "thats not what the girls say" ;)

I think that must be in the standard urologists script. I can recall the same utterance when I was snipped many moons ago. At the time however, with my nuts in his hands, I did not have the wit to make the same smart reply as you did!!

I do agree with your general point however. My wife is riddled with lupus and arthritis and has had 14 operations to replace bits that have been bu99ered. We treat the whole thing with humour. I say I'm getting a new wife a bit at a time!

Bob

Hi Tom,

Some of my nicest/most interesting bowls are from sycamore that coloured up during seasoning. Lovely patterns and colours without going as far as spalting.

Why use decent material like that for furniture if you are only going to stain or paint it ?

Each to their own I suppose !

Cheers, Paul :D

I know what you mean Paul. But this wood was cheap. ;) Probably as cheap as paint grade timber, if not cheaper. It just makes sense to use this wood to build this furniture, that I'm building anyway. I know it's unusual, but spalted timber doesn't float my boat. Not for furniture anyway. There's a ton of wood there. Turning it all would take years.

saying I'd bring my own bed.

Know how you feel, and I agree with nine fingers about humour. When I was about to have surgery a nurse asked I objected to walking to the theatre as they were short of staff. I explained that I certainly didn't mind but I drew line at walking back!

Roy.

wizer":1kyab8zk said:
hehe when I was seeing Red the other night when they told me I thought about ringing them back and saying I'd bring my own bed. I know a man who has one in his workshop ;)

You're welcome to borrow it of course, I kept the mattress just in case. You will however have to get a nurse to pump it up every hour or so because it's not in the flush of youth and tends to drop at little.

I'll keep it in mind Si. Bring it with you if you have to 'hatch me' :lol:

So I've decided I'm going to chop the planks down to get them in my wood store shed, standing up.

Any tips on doing this in terms of preparing for using it for furniture? Should I try to 'read' the board or just lop it in half?

Might be worth waiting until after the op. if I need to get you in the back of the van fast I may need some ramps, that sycamore looks ideal.

Oryxdesign":1stqdman said:
You will however have to get a nurse to pump it up every hour or so because it's not in the flush of youth and tends to drop at little.

umm... what are we talking about here, I thought Tom's op was to his BACK? :)

Back