Swivelling Head

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Random Orbital Bob":37l6g1jp said:
Funny this discussion should come up now because I'm right in the middle of changing my lathe. I've acquired a 2nd hand Woodfast with a broken either inverter or motor which I'm in the middle of getting help to fix. It's a beautiful, sturdy MT2 beast with an 18" swing over the bed and it also has a swivel head. This model is essentially the model that Record Power now badge as the Maxi 1 but was originally badged by Axminster and of course Woodfast are an Australian company. The engineering is lovely. Reminds me of older hand made British stuff. Sturdy, very fine tolerances and heavy use of cast iron that's well machined. The mechanism for the swivel head is interesting. Inside the headstock wheel house is a substantial lock nut which is undone by a hex spanner and adjascent 2 gnarled top steel pins about 2" apart along the axis of the bed. The pins fit perfectly into 2 incredibly accurately machined holes which line up through the bottom of the headstock and into the bed essentially providing a double detent which centres the headstock bang on for tailstock alignment. Once aligned by hand by just dropping the pins in, nip up the nut and no kiss test required. Really old fashioned solution but ingenious and totally bullet proof. The pins are substantial (8mm diameter) so no danger of the headstock bending them.

Once I've got it all restored and working I'll post a few pics because it really is a beauty.

Just googled woodfast lathes to have a look as I'd never heard of them. Are you sure it's going to have enough capacity for you Bob?
download.jpg

Not sure about the colour, mind. I would have to get the spray gun out.

Attachments

• download.jpg
    download.jpg
    7.3 KB · Views: 573
Back