I need help

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

graduate_owner

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi folks,
I am in serious need of help. I have a Union Grduate, a Denford Viceroy and a Myford ML8. I now have the opportunity to buy another graduate (haven't seen it yet) with about 8 faceplates, bowl rest and some turning tools at a very reasonable price. Also it is only about 20 miles away.

I want it, but I don't need it. So the help I need is - advice enabling me to justify getting it. Do I really need 4 wood turning lathes is the issue. I am thinking to buy the grad and sell the Myford.

What would you guys do? What would a ML8 sell for (it's yellow, so an older model, mainly complete but with a few home made handles)? I appreciate I am really lucky to have this kit, and the space to house it, but just don't know what to do.

K

One in, one out !
No you don't need 4 lathes, but you might want to leave one graduate setup as a disk sander.
If you get the new one, which one are you going to sell ?

You were asking for someone to tell you this weren't you ? I recognise the tone of the question from someone who knows what they're proposing to do is extravagant but is suffering from temptation.
I used to ring my dad when I knew I should be talked out of my sillier ideas :)

Unless you have some special skills you're not telling us about, and are planning on building some kind of weird torture-looking-device, so you can simultaneously turn with both hands and both feet, thereby proving beyond doubt that a man can indeed multitask, you know really that you shouldn't buy it.

You are not my long lost twin are you? My lathe timeline is the same. If so, forgo the second Graduate and get a VB36 instead, they compliment a Graduate really well having more capacity & power.
Are the Viceroy & current Graduate bowl heads, short bed, or long bed? If the new Graduate is going to be the only long bed, then yes get it. Sell the ML8 though.

I have2 wood lathes a swivel top vari speed Poolewood and a Wadkin RS.....
yes I'd buy it in a heart beat...hahaha.....
it's a bit like me and pillar drills.......
I have at least 10 of varying sizes and power.....all with diff size drill bits.......
I explained to her it's faster to switch on another machine than faff about changing common size drill bits...
plus plenty of adjustable support for the long bits of material...
she is constanly looking on Faceache for more....
when the workshop is finished they will be in a big circle like a wagon train in the cowboys...all u have to do is just walk in circles...
not hard if u got grey hair.....hahaha....

Thanks guys. I think I will sell the Myford (my first proper lathe after trying out a Black and Decker drill arrachment - yuk - I have owned it for over 40 years so quite attached to it). I no longer use it and the other bits of kit have more capacity anyway. They are nice little lathes though, so well made. So that is decided then. But I think a graduate to take it's place might be on the cards.

K

Back