• We invite you to join UKWorkshop.
    Members can turn off viewing Ads!

SWA into underground ducting - how to weatherproof/deal with the connection?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

Haighy

Reaction score
Hi,
I've an SWA power cable being routed through the brick wall of my house, along a few meters, and then into some HDPE 50mm conduit underground which comes up through a concrete slab inside my workshop. I assume others have something similar, so, what have you done about weatherproofing the external conduit entry with the SWA? Did you put it in a meter/junction box, or something else?

Thanks,
Andrew

siggy_7

Full time tool collector, part time woodworker
Reaction score
I would fit a junction box, which I think is the standard practice for this. Normal twin+earth comes from the house through your wall into the back of the junction box; the SWA enters the junction box through a sealed gland. Junction boxes are like this:

Whilst the gland kits look like this:

The gland kits come in different sizes depending on the cable you are fitting:

Haighy

Reaction score
I thought it was something like that but wasnt sure exactly which bits to use. Will organise that with the electrician today.

Thanks,
Andrew

flying haggis

Established Member
Reaction score
is the conduit from house to shed higher at the house end so could provide a path for water to get into the shed? if possible i would keep the swa intact for as long a run as possible ie avoid joins. does the swa connect directly to your consumer unit in the house, if so there is no need to use twin and earth and a junction box. i would simply fill the top of the conduit where the swa enters with a good quality silicone sealant to stop water/insect ingress. if you havent run the swa yet your electrician will probably have a "boot" from a glanding kit that could fit round the cable and over the end of the conduit

Last edited: