sutable for router table?? please help

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

XKRJAGUAR

Reaction score
was wondering if this is good for a router table.... i will be finishing slingshots on them... so just small projects really.... will only reallly be using round off bits....
- JCB 2100W 1/4" & 1/2" Router PRT210J2

im a newbie to routers..... the router table will be homemade and simple.. basically just a peice of wood with this srewed to it....
also was wondering if i can use those straight long bits almost like a bandsaw??? to cut out shapes?

any help is greatly appreciated...

thanks.

If you want good results, a simple homemade table is probably not the best way to go about it. I'd recommend to look for a used Trend router table on ebay...An old, used router table can still give far more accurate results than using a home made table.

Hello, and welcome, A 2,100 watt router is a big heavy machine!
I suggest you have a good look on u tube as you don't seem to realise how damaging a router could be.
The router will need guarding, and a fence arrangement, for supporting the timber and safety too.
What you described I found rather scary.
I would get a cheap router table, such as Lidlle etc sell from time to time, and have a careful go, after u tube!
The cutting out you mentioned might be possible using a jig saw upside down, in a similar fashion as the router and able.
You could make this you're self.
Which would be a lot less hassle for a newby, than a bandsaw.
Using a router bit for cutting shapes would be very dangerous, slow, wasteful, and noisy.
Using the router to finish a cut, shaped edge, is one reason it was designed for
But again remember these power tools will bite.
Regards Rodders

blackrodd":12m2zla4 said:
Hello, and welcome, A 2,100 watt router is a big heavy machine!
I suggest you have a good look on u tube as you don't seem to realise how damaging a router could be.
The router will need guarding, and a fence arrangement, for supporting the timber and safety too.
What you described I found rather scary.
I would get a cheap router table, such as Lidlle etc sell from time to time, and have a careful go, after u tube!
The cutting out you mentioned might be possible using a jig saw upside down, in a similar fashion as the router and able.
You could make this you're self.
Which would be a lot less hassle for a newby, than a bandsaw.
Using a router bit for cutting shapes would be very dangerous, slow, wasteful, and noisy.
Using the router to finish a cut, shaped edge, is one reason it was designed for
But again remember these power tools will bite.
Regards Rodders
What then would you suggest for finishing small works? I shan't be using a fence as I'm not edging into long pieces of timber,

It is possible to to round over smaller pieces of timber freehand on the router table, you will need a bearing guided cutter and a starter pin to hold the work and feed it into the cutter. However, I wouldn't recommend it for a beginner. If you don't get it right, the router can pull the work (and your fingers) towards the cutter. You certainly can't cut shapes freehand with it.

Mar_mite":2wpkxp9t said:
It is possible to to round over smaller pieces of timber freehand on the router table, you will need a bearing guided cutter and a starter pin to hold the work and feed it into the cutter. However, I wouldn't recommend it for a beginner. If you don't get it right, the router can pull the work (and your fingers) towards the cutter. You certainly can't cut shapes freehand with it.
I'm not cutting timber, just small pieces... Slingshots.
I was also thinking I will get a fixed base router instead for the router table as its got good adjustment for that sort of thing, the plung router is to springy and awkward, thoughts?

Mar_mite":14t2jmoq said:
I shan't be cutting out large pieces, just small slingshots without a fence or pins, it s a 2 sec job,, thinking about using a fixed base router instead because I prefer the method of adjustment for my router table. Thoughts

XKRJAGUAR":3teptnig said:
Mar_mite":3teptnig said:
I'm not cutting timber, just small pieces... Slingshots.
I was also thinking I will get a fixed base router instead for the router table as its got good adjustment for that sort of thing, the plung router is to springy and awkward, thoughts?

You asked for advice, you have been given several answers and guide to method of handling and yet you are insistent on ignoring the advice.

A router is not a machine for working with small pieces without very specialized jigs and guards.

If as a novice you persist in trying to do what you describe, the only thing you are going to achieve is the removal of one or more of your fingers.

By the description cutting out slingshots, I imagine you are describing shaping something like ply wood into a Y shape?
A router, under a table or otherwise is probably at the bottom of a long list of options for this work. In fact, it's not an option at all. It's not what a router is designed for and as already mentioned you'll put yourself at high risk of injury.

Jig saw, or coping saw would be my first choice if I didn't have a band saw to hand.

I don't think I've ever seen a router table with a fixed base router. Can't see how it would work.

That machine you added the link to spins at 28,000 rpm with no load. That's 467 times a second. Can you imagine the damage you could do to yourself with a half second slip with your hand?

I think he already has the slingshots cut out, he needs the router to roundover the edges.

How about a jig holding the slingshots horizontally and then using a small laminate router with guided bit to do the edges ?

fiacha":25i4qrr4 said:
I think he already has the slingshots cut out, he needs the router to roundover the edges.

How about a jig holding the slingshots horizontally and then using a small laminate router with guided bit to do the edges ?
That's exactly right, I'll look into that thanks

Latest posts

Back