Supernova

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heatherw

Established Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know what the thread size of the supernova is before you put the threaded insert in? Does it fit the Nova lathes?

Hey, thanks again for all the replies,

I'll explain a bit more why I'm asking.

My lathe is a secondhand Nova 3000 and it came with a supernova chuck (so the guy said, though I don't think there's anything written on it). This chuck comes with an insert which just happens to fit on my other lathe, a Record, so it must be 3/4 x 16tpi. If I take the insert out then the chuck fits onto the Nova lathe, which according to what I've read should be impossible, because as Tasmanian Devil says the chuck thread should be M33 x 3.5, and as Olwen says the headstock thread should be 1 1/4" x 8 TPI
This is important because I need to know the real headstock thread size (for buying more accessories of the right size), otherwise it wouldn't matter. So how do you measure the thread size?

It has just occurred to me that 1 1/4 x 8 tpi and M33 x 3.5 might be close enough to each other to fit without being a proper fit? In which case I have the wrong chuck for my lathe?

Heatherw

If you go to the Teknatool/SuperNova2 website
http://www.teknatool.com/products/Lathe_Accessories/adaptor_page.htm
you will see the list of inserts available and there is also mention of a second list of chucks which are direct threaded. They seem to have forgotten to post the list.

What is puzzling is that if you have taken an insert out one would think that you could replace it with one of the correct size.

The Nova 3000 is made with imperial and metric threads depending which you have depends where you are. My bet is that if you got it in Spain it will be metric.

What has me baffles is that there is a M33 insert but the body without insert fits the lathe.

Is it possible that it is not a SuperNova chuck? Mine has Nova and SuperNova embossed in the parts.

Bill

Yew Tube,

The list you are referring to is this

Threads Direct to Chuck Body (cannot be changed once cut)
D Chuck (SNCD) : 1” 8TPI UNC RH Note: Maximum spindle length 25.4mm
4 Chuck (SNC4) : M33x3.5 RH
P Chuck (SNCP) : 1 1/2” BSW RH/LH Dual Threaded. Tanner Union Graduate
Wackin Bursgreen
R Chuck (SNCR) : Blank. For threads up to 38mm
X Chuck (SNCX) : 1 1/2” 8TPI NF Conover

which appears in the Supernova manual in PDF on the same site. As you can see, there is no direct threaded version at 1 1/4" x 8tpi. And anyway, as you say, the insert fits.
The lathe could have come from anywhere, but I actually bought it in the UK (there aren't many lathes in Spain) so I was expecting it to have UK spec's. Doesn't necessarily follow, I know.

I am baffled as well, think I'll have to do some careful measuring and send an email to Nova. If I just measure the outside part of the thread, is that the measurement referred to?

thanks everyone for bending your brains over this, I appreciate it.

The outside diameter is the first number. Best measured with a micrometer or vernier/dial/digital caliper but you can do it with a scale/ruler.

The second is the number of thread points in 1 inch for Imperial (easiest to see by counting with a scale/ruler laid along the shaft). For metric it is the distance between any 2 points.

The remaining letters are the thread standard and whether it is a left or right hand thread. The Nova is going to be a right hand. Left is usually on the outboard end of a headstock.

Pete

Back