Super Parf dogs.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jacob":22daq4eb said:
woodbrains":22daq4eb said:
..........The system is quicker, more accurate and less fiddly than a saw board by a large margin. .......
Saw-board performs just as well as a track saw once it's set up, depending on the saw itself and given similar dust extraction. They are deceptively accurate.
But yes is a bit more fiddly, is heavier, not easily adjusted for length, loses its thickness in depth of cut, but saves a lot of money.!! And you can make one up to fit any hand held circ saw or router, at very little cost.
Horses for courses.

When I was at college one of my lecturers had a 2CV. His standard repost to us tacking the mickey was that a 2CV had as many wheels as a Porsche 911 and at 70mph was just as fast as a Posrche 911 also doing 70mph. All very true but completely avoids the real point that there was no comparison.

PAC1":14wqm5j0 said:
When I was at college one of my lecturers had a 2CV. His standard repost to us tacking the mickey was that a 2CV had as many wheels as a Porsche 911 and at 70mph was just as fast as a Posrche 911 also doing 70mph. All very true but completely avoids the real point that there was no comparison.

... but there's no real reason to drive a Porsche besides wanting to drive one. Yeah the 2CV was much slower getting there, but the end result was the same. ;-)

I think Naz has nailed it...sort of
not so much a porsche (no thanks) but why drive a 2cv if money allows for something more refined
I invested in a mft and track saw....hobby use only
now this gets the ...why do you need one for hobby use?
as a profession anything that saves time and materials is a winner imho
as a hobbyist time is limited so if it saves me time that is a winner too imho
I cannot see how a saw board cuts an accurate clean 45 degree cut without a lot of setup
compared to throwing a set of dogs in holes and referencing off just one straight edge

Steve

NazNomad":f545subw said:
PAC1":f545subw said:

... but there's no real reason to drive a Porsche besides wanting to drive one. Yeah the 2CV was much slower getting there, but the end result was the same. ;-)

Naz,...Have you ever driven a Porsche? Or come to that, have you ever driven a 2CV?

It's a good analogy that Pac makes, coz if you have been fortunate to drive a Porsche and unfortunate enough to drive a 2CV, you will CLEARLY be able to experience the difference and then know why one is so much better than the other.

PAC1":aei7hsat said:
Jacob":aei7hsat said:
woodbrains":aei7hsat said:
..........The system is quicker, more accurate and less fiddly than a saw board by a large margin. .......
Saw-board performs just as well as a track saw once it's set up, depending on the saw itself and given similar dust extraction. They are deceptively accurate.
But yes is a bit more fiddly, is heavier, not easily adjusted for length, loses its thickness in depth of cut, but saves a lot of money.!! And you can make one up to fit any hand held circ saw or router, at very little cost.
Horses for courses.

Pac. I reckon your lecturer was a plagiarist. Who'da thunk it!? :wink:

BUShZaB.jpg

Distinterior":13v79coz said:
Naz,...Have you ever driven a Porsche? Or come to that, have you ever driven a 2CV?

Yes, and I'd never buy either. However, my point stands that the Citroën and the Porsche both do the same job, but at different speeds.

NazNomad":3pgrwi5n said:
Distinterior":3pgrwi5n said:

Yes, and I'd never buy either. However, my point stands that the Citroën and the Porsche both do the same job, but at different speeds.

Okay Naz,.....I give up!
I can't argue with the fact that both cars will get you where you want to go, but one is a joy to drive and the other is purgatory in comparison. I have to admit that I may be biased though, coz I do have a Porsche.......(bracing myself for a load of stick from all the apparent 2CV lovers on here...)

NazNomad":2rah7wkj said:
Distinterior":2rah7wkj said:

Most of the time same speed, to be realistic. Go up-market only slightly and the difference (off the race track) would be minimal.
2 CV is the pits though. Like a pram with an outboard engine.

I have always used a saw board in fact I have made many of they and made them as I need them on site etc...(maybe spent more on ply than the tracks from festool! :roll: ) One of the most useful is a small cross cut one for cutting boards swiftly.
I now have a track saw which is way quicker and more versatile to use and gives a much, much finer finish and has replaceable chip doodahs on the track and saw. I also use it for the first cut on new waney edge boards and it saves time screwing down straight edges or saw boards to remove the sap, it is extraordinary what can be made on site without full workshop facilities and people are pushing all the time what can be made more accurately and quicker away from home.
These parf dogs look to be useful as they are more solid for a deeper cut but it may be found that they wear the table holes quicker.

why would a track saw make cleaner cuts than a saw board? they both have the zero clearence support strip?

I have the full table (in ply) from CNC designs, and their own dogs to go with it.

I am extremely pleased with it: it will last me ages and be very useful.

I can see the rail clips could be handy, as the rail does have a slight tendency to pull away from the dogs while you're lining everything up, but having expanding gaskets to stop slop sounds like an admission of failure (somewhere).
--------------------------

I also absolutely abhor media that auto-play when a web page loads. And so far I haven't found a way to stop it!

Axminster, I won't visit ANY of your web pages that do that in future (once i've found out they do). I am quite capable of spending my hard-earned elsewhere if you want to be annoying.

Honestly, whatever the back-end looks like, the front-end of your web site was much more useful when it was an online version of the printed catalogue. I've no doubt it renders better now on tiny screens (and you must be cock-a-hoop with that), but everything else seems to be just a downhill slide. There are now pop-ups, drop-downs and all sorts of other nuisances that get in the way of me finding what I want as fast as I can.

Waste my time; lose my custom. Simples.

E. (rather annoyed).

transatlantic":2ivnr5xh said:
why would a track saw make cleaner cuts than a saw board? they both have the zero clearence support strip?
Given the same saw it'd make the same cut - except you have to hold it up to the fence, it isn't in a track, you could wander off if you didn't watch it. But you can use any old cheapo saw with a saw board.
I've never owned a track saw. Can you buy a 'track' for any saw or do they have to be saw and track together?

transatlantic":3nczj0zb said:

The good ones have the saw properly adjusted to take full advantage of being constrained by the rail. Festool has a tiny amount of toe-in (I think Makita (at least) does too). You can do scoring cuts in either direction (I go backwards), positioning is more accurate, bevel cuts are spot on, the blades the saws use are optimised for accuracy and cleanness of cut (plate thickness, tooth profile and kerf width, etc.). And it's quick, and DX is generally very good (on flat surfaces).

I'm sure there are cheap rails saws that don't cut as well (tests pick this up), but the good ones are wonderful.

At Jacob: it's a system - track and saw together, and I suggest you try one for a while They are MUCH better than just pushing a saw along some sort of guide, zero-clearance or otherwise.

Eric The Viking":2lxx3gdo said:
I also absolutely abhor media that auto-play when a web page loads. And so far I haven't found a way to stop it!

Axminster, I won't visit ANY of your web pages that do that in future (once i've found out they do). I am quite capable of spending my hard-earned elsewhere if you want to be annoying.
Autoplaying videos get a definite bubye from me too. In this case, thankfully, the OP linked directly to the product video (the "?video=0" in the OP URL) rather than just the normal product page which does not autoplay anything :) http://www.axminster.co.uk/ujk-technolo ... dog-104302

Nelsun":1a6rp41s said:
(the "?video=0" in the OP URL) rather than just the normal product page which does not autoplay anything :) http://www.axminster.co.uk/ujk-technolo ... dog-104302

It was autoplaying audio for me, which is arguably even more annoying as you cannot immediately see what's causing it.

Cookies may be involved, however, as I sometimes use this machine to place orders, so it might be telling Axminster who I am - will check "login" status next time I visit their site.

woodbrains":33a7fao0 said:
Hello,

Just come across these,
http://www.axminster.co.uk/ujk-technolo ... 1_superdog

Look like they would add increased precision to this set up. They would also solve the problem of dissimilar thicknesses of material letting the track butt up to the parf dogs at a different point due to the collars. Seems like a good development to me.

Mike.

Has anyone used these in a festool or festool clone top rather than a ujk one? It looks like you have to make the holes fractionally bigger in a festool table to accommodate the dogs, presumably why there is a special tool available to do it. I am I right to think you then cant use a mixture of old and new dogs?

I would have thought you could use old dogs or new dogs in any MFT top, whether that be a Festool one or otherwise. The holes are all 20mm. You only need the special tool if you want to chamfer the holes to use the bevelled collar/spacer or whatever it's called.

Distinterior":2jnu6fw6 said:
http://www.cncdesign.co.uk/cnc/MDF-Repl ... -Dogs.html

That looks like a bargain!,......with the dogs as well for £45.

I paid £100 for my 2440 x 1220 MRMDF top, but I already had the Parf Dog set that I was using on my Festool MFT.

This is who made mine. http://www.rjwhitecncrouting.co.uk/

Mine arrived today, the Mafell plunge saw arrives Friday with a bit of luck. I already have Bosch/Mafell track. I have cabinets to make for a large kitchen and utility room plus some other cabinetry involving lots of birch ply. Once I have finished all that, if I'm not using the saw much I will sell it.

Not sure what to put the top onto yet :oops: Probably weld up an angle iron perimeter and bolt it to a couple of trestles. I'm not going to buy a Festool MFT, at least I don't think I am!

EDIT - I forgot I have a load of rusting plasterers trestles in the field shelter, they are my neighbours but I'm sure he won't mind me borrowing a couple. Once I have tried the system I'll rig something up more permanent if I like it.

Back