Twist dogs or standard dogs, whats the preference ?.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TRITON

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
As im doing a bench top, it will be the parf system(ease of use/set up/clamping etc) i know about standard dogs, but i see theres also twist dogs, and are these any better, or is it more likely to wear and standard would be better or cheaper come replacement time. Does twist offer a better system that makes that increased outlay worth the expense ?.
Will be using UJK valcromat top rather than making my own initially. Though I'll probably use it as a template to more in mdf

You'll like this... it depends :whistle:

The twist types lock themselves in place really well for times when that suits - which is not really all that often IMHO. Taller ones benefit from the locking action more so than shorter ones. The Benchdogs.co.uk "Quad Dogs" are (or certainly were) cheaper and just as effective as the Parf "Super" ones and the tolerances between the two are near indistinguishable (I have both) - at least to me anyway.

You have three basic types, 1) just sit in the hole 2) can be retained by a screw from underneath and 3) can be secured from above

Bemchdogs do these that just drop in the hole Bench Dogs Large x 2

They do these quad dogs which are multipart and use o rings to lock into a hole by just tightening

https://benchdogs.co.uk/products/quad-dogs™-40mm-pair
The choice is yours and your needs will probably evolve as you use them, I have a row of dogs fixed from below along the back of one of my worktops that just stay there and come in handy for many jobs.

It can be better to make your own tops because they will not last forever, I think of them as being disposable and something that will get cut up so I use the Parf system for making them. Search these forums and you will find a lot of info on dogs and benches, there is some really good experience that has been shared. For me I had initial reservations about having lots of holes in a worktop and just how useful could they really be, my solution was to use boards with the holes that sit on my main workbench, if I need them I lay them down else take them away and now a solid bench where nothing can drop through.

What really changed things for me was the Microjig system, it gave a bench with dogs even more usability because now the dogs align and ensure workpieces are in the correct position whilst the microjig slots allow clamping and this has been such a help. Also when using the Parf system to make the top you can get a row of holes in and then use these to run a parallel microjig slot which allows you to clamp the Parf jig whilst drilling the next holes and I found this gave tighter holes.

Look at this bench for an idea but make the holes 20mm for dogs, now you can align workpieces for joining in two planes.

My first and only thought so far is "not for me". I can't think of any occasion I've had need for 30 or 60 degree angles. The isometric layout would also make setting up a 90 fence layout more of a faff (holes further apart on one axis) and it'd bork some functionality of 3rd party accessories designed for the 96mm grid pattern e.g. mitre squares. that said, if 30 and 60 degrees feature in your work then it'd likely be of benefit.

Just clocked the price of it too... ouch. IIRC, The Parf Guide System can do both layouts, it's pretty quick and deadly accurate. I've used mine for making loads of replacement tops and found it very handy for putting holes [in exactly the right places] in bases of things to attach to worktops - the Parf "Anchor Dogs" come in very handy in that respect. I'd give it some thought as, once you start with dog holes, you soon notice other places you'd like to make holy.

Back