Suizan, Hachiemon or other Japanese flush cut saw?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve Blackdog

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi folks,

I am looking for a flexible flush cut saw and have seen these two makes on Amazon. Does anyone have any experience of them? also thought about the Stanley, but it’s blade doesn’t seem to flex.

I don’t want to spend that much, but £20 seems to be the going rate for them.

cheers

Steve

So I have just bought the

Gyokucho 1151​

with the 5” blade on Amazon, selling for only £16.50.

can’t really go far wrong at that price.
I've had one of those in my basket for a couple of months now, I'd be interested to hear your impressions when in arrives. I'd be particularly interested in slightly heavier work than dowels and the like, a couple of the uses I have in mind sheet flush with a beam and cutting a beam e.g. 18mm pine, flush with another for a sharp corner.

I've had one of those in my basket for a couple of months now, I'd be interested to hear your impressions when in arrives. I'd be particularly interested in slightly heavier work than dowels and the like, a couple of the uses I have in mind sheet flush with a beam and cutting a beam e.g. 18mm pine, flush with another for a sharp corner.
Hi AJS

this is not the saw for what you are looking for. The blade is so thin and flexible that it will be hard to keep it true.

I am sure it could do the task you describe, but maybe not as easily as you expect.

Also, note these saws are very sharp. I know to my cost as I managed to slice the palm of my hand, and spent last night in A&E having it stitched back up.

cheers

Hi AJS

this is not the saw for what you are looking for. The blade is so thin and flexible that it will be hard to keep it true.

I am sure it could do the task you describe, but maybe not as easily as you expect.

Also, note these saws are very sharp. I know to my cost as I managed to slice the palm of my hand, and spent last night in A&E having it stitched back up.

cheers
ouch! hope you recover well steve..

Hi AJS

cheers
Thanks for the update and I hope it heals up OK. I do know what you mean, I've had a couple of minor scrapes with my ryoba saw. Teeth on both edges makes a lot bigger hazard zone

It was all very predictable. Feeling tired at the end of the day. Thinking, this is a very awkward, need to be very careful. Then the laws of physics and stupidity came into play and ouch!

on the positive side - the saw has zero set and 0.5mm kerf, so it was nice clean cut and it should heal very well. Nothing major- no tendons or nerves involved. Just on the hand it needed 6 stitches to hold it all together.

a useful reminder to stop when tired.

thanks for the good wishes 🙏

Last edited:
Hi AJS

cheers
The Gyokucho should be fine for someone not used to Japanese saws, just go slowly. It is the thinner much more expensive resharpenable versions that are delicate and not recomended for those new to pull saws.

The ones I use are the “Life” brand they have replaceable blades but I didn’t bother to buy them i just got a second one
B06411A3-30B9-4B62-8AB6-D45FA688B568.jpeg

Back