Suitable Timber

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mudman

Established Member
Reaction score
Trying to stay in one piece in South Wales
I was wondering if elm would be suitable timber for a high cabin bed?

I plan to make one for my eldest and was thinking of a visit to HJ Pugh to see if I could get any bargains.

I've never used elm and wondered if I could use it or leave it for the chair and coffin makers and go aim for some of the oak instead?

TIA

Edit: Not just the bed but associated desk and cupboard underneath.

The Woodworker's Pocket Book (1963) lists the use of elm as "naves of heavy vehicles, wooden pumps (in former times), coffins, underwater structures, boat-building and general construction including wheelwrights work, which calls for strength and durability". Not a mention of bodgers and chairs or even Ercol.

I found it to be a not overly pleasant material to work with, largely because of its readiness to produce dust. But if you haven't used the timber before - why not give it a go? IMHO the figure can look quite attractive. Oh, it moves quite a lot when drying!

Angela

A_n_g_e_l_a":30b140oe said:
The Woodworker's Pocket Book (1963)

Angela
Angela I posted a thread about that little book or the equivilent some time ago, I'm sure it's one of the same. I had a copy in or about 1963 and lost it, I've been looking for one for years, just to check is it about 6" x 4" and about 1/2" thick and hardback? if it is about that size can you give me the ISBN number and the printers name? Please please please XXX :lol:

That's the one! It cost 7 shillings and 6 pence, that's 37 and a half pence in toy money!! It was probably published before ISBN took off, as I can't find a number. It was edited by Charles H. Hayward who wrote many books for woodworkers in the 50s and 60s. The publisher was Evans Brothers Limited of Montague House, Russell Square London. The printer was William Clowes & Sons Ltd of London and Beccles. It was one of a series of 'Pocket Books' some with non-politically correct titles by today's standards, such as Business Man's and Housewife's Pocket Book.

The British Library will have a copy as they have everything ever published in the UK and your local library service can arrange for copied portions. You could probably get a photo-copy of the lot as it must be beyond copyright by now.

Good luck in tracking a copy down.

I've also got 'Woodwork Joints' by the same auther first published in 1950 if that's of any interest.

Angela

A_n_g_e_l_a":tn1efltf said:
That's the one! It cost 7 shillings and 6 pence, that's 37 and a half pence in toy money!! It was probably published before ISBN took off, as I can't find a number. It was edited by Charles H. Hayward who wrote many books for woodworkers in the 50s and 60s. The publisher was Evans Brothers Limited of Montague House, Russell Square London. The printer was William Clowes & Sons Ltd of London and Beccles. It was one of a series of 'Pocket Books' some with non-politically correct titles by today's standards, such as Business Man's and Housewife's Pocket Book.

The British Library will have a copy as they have everything ever published in the UK and your local library service can arrange for copied portions. You could probably get a photo-copy of the lot as it must be beyond copyright by now.

Good luck in tracking a copy down.

I've also got 'Woodwork Joints' by the same auther first published in 1950 if that's of any interest.

Angela
Yes that sounds about right. I believe it was first written in about 1949 and by 1960 was in its 6 revision perhaps 7th. Back then about 130 pages. Oh well I'll keep looking. :cry:

Lord Nibbo":it6ml0mx said:
I believe it was first written in about 1949 and by 1960 was in its 6 revision perhaps 7th. Back then about 130 pages. Oh well I'll keep looking. :cry:

Yes, all is says is '1963 reprint' with no mention of publication history. But looking at the style I would guess immediate post-war is about right.

Was there anything in particular you wanted from it?

Angela

I have the metricated (gasp) edition - "first published 1949, reprinted thirteen times (!), this edition revised and reset 1971, sixth printing 1978". ISBN 0 237 35195 1, fwiw (not much). Just stick the title and Hayward in Bookfinder and you should find copies appear fairly frequently (yeah, a load on there at the mo').

Barry, have you considered feeding him gin...? :shock:

Cheers, Alf

A_n_g_e_l_a":1nve5vxe said:
Was there anything in particular you wanted from it?

Angela

No it was just nostalga really, I won it as a school prize (best at woodwork) when I was 15y old, a great little book full of facts like furniture standard sizes, grinding angles etc etc. :D

I made an (full size) single bed in elm for my daughter and it's still standing up fine 8 or so years later. So don't think you will have any problems strengh wise so long as you make the sections stout enough.
Looks nice too with a shellac and waxed finish.

I personally prefer the look of elm over oak although I think its harder to work with cos of the grain.

A_n_g_e_l_a":1z85sa1n said:
mudman":1z85sa1n said:
he's a big lad, nearly six feet tall and only 12. :shock:

I'd stop feeding him for a while then :wink:

Angela

:lol: Bit difficult that though. Seems to be eating all the time.

Alf":1z85sa1n said:
Barry, have you considered feeding him gin...? :shock:

Cheers, Alf

Hmm, is that some sort of West Country growth stunter?
What do you recommend? London or Bombay? :lol:

The old elm question was a moot point in the end. I went along but got there a bit late.
The lots seemed to be going for quite large amounts and didn't really seem to be worth the money.

Bought one lot that nobody else seemed to want , 10 boards of cherry about 72x6x1 for £14 so not too bad in the end. :)

By the way, the next sale of tools and wood is on January 6th in Ledbury.

Hi

I have a copy of this book, I see it fairly regularly on the eBay books section, (Non-fiction > crafts > woodworking, I reckon there's one on there now but can't check it from work) I bought my copy of it from eBay for a fiver or so. It was recommended to me by my tutor at college, he said it was the first and one of the best books a cabinet maker should get.

'Woodwork Joints' is a great book too.

Cheers

Liam

wachenga":1823bb70 said:
Hi

I have a copy of this book, I see it fairly regularly on the eBay books section, (Non-fiction > crafts > woodworking, I reckon there's one on there now but can't check it from work) I bought my copy of it from eBay for a fiver or so. It was recommended to me by my tutor at college, he said it was the first and one of the best books a cabinet maker should get.

'Woodwork Joints' is a great book too.

Cheers

Liam

Hi Liam, What edition do you have? and what is the isbn number?

Many thanks in advance.... :)

Hi Lord Nibbo,

I'm at work at the moment but I'll check tonight for you (ties string around finger).

Cheers

Liam

My copy of 'The Woodworkers Pocket Book', edited by Charles H. Hayward is the sixth impression, 1953. I can't locate an ISBN for it, it may have been on the now missing dust jacket.

There's this one on evilbay:

http://tinyurl.com/yxj4qe

Hope that helps

Cheers

Liam

wachenga":2t53fgey said:
My copy of 'The Woodworkers Pocket Book', edited by Charles H. Hayward is the sixth impression, 1953. I can't locate an ISBN for it, it may have been on the now missing dust jacket.

There's this one on evilbay:

http://tinyurl.com/yxj4qe

Hope that helps

Cheers

Liam

Yes Angela said the same about the 1963 revised edition, anyway I've bookmarked the one on ebay, so many thanks. :D

Back