suitable Electric fire hinge

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swift3269

Reaction score
hello everyone newbie here, would like some help and expert advice if i can please.

i am planning on mounting a electric fire onto a hinged door panel, that will hide all my AV equipment like sky box, DVD player and such like, i am NOT planning on using the fire for any heat what so ever, the fire i have been looking at draws cold air in at the top and put warm out the bottom if i did, and its a fake LCD fire display so no heat from glass.

My question is the fire dimensions are 500mm High by 640mm Wide and 165mm deep with a total weight of 12 kg so if i add this onto a door the weight will increase a little, am i out of my mind or are there any suitable hinges i could use, if so what kind of door would i need to use and support system to carry this out.

the chimney breast is normal brick and plaster i am removing the gas fire to put in a shelving unit to hold my equipment and i want to hide every thing, i am building the chimney out a little using a wood frame to give a little depth to the mounted TV and soundbar, please can anyone point me in the right direction

Thank you

Butt hinges, or piano hinges have little play so would work.

Is the door side hung or bottom hung?

The door needs to be quite a bit wider than the fire or the 165mm depth of the unit will hit as it opens.

was thinking side hung as i have room either side of the chimney, i was also considering a lift up type like the ones you find in kitchens like hiding a microwave, but with the weight of the fire it would need some serious supports to stop it closing.

again I'm a little worried that the weight when swung open might pull the door off from the frame, is this a strong possibility ?

Any normal door hinges will take an extra 25 kilo. Have you never seen kids swinging on doors?

But I would use three, rather than just two.

so weight is not really an issue, and the size of the door i would need is 920mm wide by 620mm high, that would incorporate a swing radius of 170mm even though the fire is only 165mm, 3 door hinges would suffice a weight of 12kg plus door weight and the size of the fire and door?

If you are truly concerned over the weight (i dont see an issue, but its your door) make sure you buy hinges suitable for a fire door. Those things are as heavy as a small motorcycle.

Of course, the hinge is only as strong as the wood its being screwed to. make sure the frame is securely mounted to that wall.

Ok thanks will ensure my supports are good and a attach to brick wall rather than the rest of the wood frame

Back