Suggestions/photos requested for veneer for a bed headboard.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oddsocks

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm finally planning the build of my queensize bed, after having lived with the prototype in MDF, softwood and hardboard.

The tailboard, sides and legs are going to be maple / maple veneer to match other furniture but I'm wondering what the headboard should be. At the moment its hardboard on a curved former and this colour looks good against the softwood rear legs. My thoughts so far are:

A. Maple veneer as per the sides and tail
B. Birds eye maple (i have some boards that might yield enough)
C. Birch veneer (aka IKEA!)
D. American Walnut (to give the contrast?)
E. any of the above but with a decorative string or similar to add interest.

I am open to all suggestions, basically what from others experience has worked well in conjunction with Maple (either to complement or contrast), either on beds or other furniture. Photos or links appreciated.

Thanks

Dave

OPJ":3hlktxee said:
Do you have any sketches of your design, Dave?

Not yet - I did do some in turbocad 5 years ago when I made the prototype. It's my intention to create one in sketchup this week, but I'm on call all week so may not get the necessary time until the weekend. Basically when I made the prototype the mattress frames were made properly, but I do need to take the various felt tip notes and lines that have appeared on the legs and headboard to transfer into the agreed design.

Should be fun working out how to do the back leg curves in sketchup.

I've just taken a couple of photos...

current MDF and hardboard bed

3505026450_5d511be45f.jpg

and a piece of furniture that drives the light maple theme

3505026452_d36335a9a3.jpg

Thanks for the photos, I can see what you mean about the contrast between the hardboard and softwood! :) I think walnut would provide too much of a contrast, while bird's eye maple perhaps not enough, despite the lovely figuring. What about cherry, not as dark as walnut but still enough to provide a contrast?

OPJ":z2crentv said:
...I think walnut would provide too much of a contrast, while bird's eye maple perhaps not enough, despite the lovely figuring. What about cherry, not as dark as walnut but still enough to provide a contrast?

Thanks Olly, cherry actually caught my eye earlier during a quick browse of ebay for 'veneer' . I still need to convince Karen (SWIMBO) that it shouldn't all be maple, but I think a single wood /colour would too bland. I'll have to get some cheap samples of cherry /cherry veneer and build up a sample/swatch board

When it comes to the headboard does it have to be solid,or have you considered slats? I did a Mapel one a couple of years ago that incorporated the bedside tables.

If you're interested I'll dig out the pic's.

Waka":3netkzlk said:
When it comes to the headboard does it have to be solid,or have you considered slats? I did a Mapel one a couple of years ago that incorporated the bedside tables.

If you're interested I'll dig out the pic's.

Waka,
I think solid is a given, but photos can be a powerful persuader!

PS - I grew up in Weymouth (lived in Rodwell)

ive always thought cherry and maple go lovely together, a little on the light side but nice all the same. cherry and walnut is also suited and gives a darker alternative - but would show a lot of figure, maybe too much to contrast with your existing furniture.

nice design on the bed btw.

never one to sit on the fence :oops: i have now ordered veneers of cherry, white beech, steamed beech and sicamore, all in lengths that are long enough for the headboard and also give enough to make up some samples. This shortlist was approved by management!

I ordered the cherry from ebay and the rest from Vale Veneers .....only on the checkout did I realise they were the same company, but the online shop has much more than the ebay store has.

i don't mind ordering mor than I need for the bed as I know I will use them all eventually.

Will post some pics in the next couple of weeks

dave

Here's the sample board I made (the first actual use of my new veneer press)....
the vertical is solid maple, and top to bottom the veneers are:

maple, cherry, sycamore, steamed beech, white beech

Finish is 3 coats of ronseal diamond hard satin clear varnish applied with a purdy brush.

No flash (as the the varnish shone too much) and the colours look better in real life...decision (at least for today!) is between steamed beech and white beech (white beech will I think win the day).

3538818478_4ef0217cab.jpg

Back