Suggestions on how to improve my workshop

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LancsRick

Established Member
Reaction score
Ok, so at the moment I don't have any projects on the go, so I've put a fair bit of time into sorting out my workshop instead, which is limited to a single garage at the moment. I know there are more than a few ingenious folk on here, not to mention the experience, so I thought I would post up some pictures of my current setup.

There is no specific question per se, this is just a "What would you change if this was yours?" scenario. I'm just trying to make the best of what I have available, and also expand machinery if needed (I'd dearly love a bandsaw and a proper dust extractor in there).

Anyways, here goes! Thanks all.

http://imgur.com/a/k4SUw

The storage racks take up space reconfigure for more floor space use walls above eye line .The use of casters under machines is good and creates versatility .Look into making the garage door open able so that machines can be put out side to create floor ,bench space and ability so handle long timber.Store timber in roof space .Draw to scale the floor area and also the machines benches etc cut them out and move round for best layout before you fix any equipment.

Thanks, I was expecting a similar comment, currently collecting designs for wall mounted tool cabinets as a result.

The other thing that has crossed my mind is boarding out all of the walls to allow easy fitment of anything wall-mounted. Given part of some of the walls are external (and only single course since it's a garage), would there be any issues with doing 2x2 studwork straight onto the wall and then boarding with melamine faced board or similar?

I'll have a look at pricing it up, thanks.

Do people tend to just use PAR softwood pine for creating workshop storage? Any form of hardwood over here seems damn expensive!

I'm really keen to get better usage of the space I have - going to take your advice and measure things up later to start playing around on paper.

I reckon I can clad out the workshop for £270 as OSB2, or £370 as Ply. That's based on a total wall run of 13.5m, and 2.4m height (gives apprx 34m^2 to cover). 18mm sheet to be used, 600mm vertical centres, two horizontal runs to reinforce of 2x1.

If I'm going this far then I'll probably look at sorting the floor - either paint or a tile system.

My own recent experience (mine is 3.3m by 12m roughly) If it is used only as a workshop, I would put some sort of rubber cushioned floor in instead of paint or tiles any day. I have done this in some small key areas of mine and it reduces fatigue hugely - I will do all of it when I get time. I would defo use ply as Zedd suggests for the walls as this will make any fixings much easier and more secure. Paint it all white - increases the light levels a lot. I have done this and am pleased I did. If you are battening out anyway, I would take the opportunity to run some cable behind the ply and put a LOT of sockets in. High up so you have no trailing cables and little risk of penetration.

There is a superb book on workshop ideas : Workshop Idea book by Andy Rae. It is US but still excellent and widely available on Amazon s/h. Buy it - loads of ideas and tips. Taunton Press. paperback or hardback.

If I know where the studs are, do I really need ply over Osb? I'll check out the flooring, thanks.

When I put power into the garage I covered it in double sockets at shoulder height, so that's one thing I managed to get right first time at least :).

Pondering whether I need to clad the place or whether I should just put up a lot of battens like I've seen some people do. Hmm mm.

Just use a french cleat system if you want moveable storage without cladding

Thanks. Just tracked down somewhere I can get Rolson flooring tiles for £32 for enough to do my garage, perfect :).

Hi there,

I work from a single garage and am a joiner. Admittedly, i have a big covered car port next to the garage where i do a lot of work (even in winter as used to cold).

The 2 points i would add are firstly to try to work the garage to have the biggest bench to work with possible. I make doors, windows, kitchens, even staircases from my workshop. I have my bandsaw at one end of the bench, level so it acts as an outfeed table and my table saw at the other end so again i have it as an outfeed table. A big flat bench makes a big difference when doing big glue ups.

Secondly, which has already been meantioned, have machines on castors so they can be moved quickly, either out of the way or outside for big jobs. I get decent ones with breaks from screwfix for about £15.

I had a 1400 sf workshop but when i had surgery which left me with my leg in plaster for 6 months i couldn't justify keep paying the rent so moved into my garage for the short term and have found it works well, i just have to be organised so i have stayed there and save on rent.

If i hav time i could photo my garage as a comparison. I looked at as many photos as i could. I still have loads of improvements to make though.

Cheers

Nick

I made my workbenches a little higher than you might normally but that means I can store my table saw and router table underneath. As others have said keep things on castors. Use the height for storing little used items.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you have a single skin wall, you may want to cover with dpm before bsttening out so any damp getting through can only run down to the ground.

I reckon tiling battens would be fine, they are 50 x 25 and well treated. I personally would do 1 horizontal near bottom, 1 near top and verticals in between. Or consider just vertical battens at 400 centres.

18mm OSB3 will hold screws pretty well on the face, I would go with that if you dont mind the surface. OSB sheets are often not too flat so be careful to buy from sonewhere that stacks them properly.

Maybe dont sit osb boards on floor, keep them by 25mm so they dont get damp ends. Maybe not a prob if your garage is dry or doesnt get rain driving in.

+1 for French cleats (then you don't have to clad the walls) and getting the timber racks up in the loft bit.

I've recently put French cleats in my smaller workshop and swear by them. The beauty is that you do not have to design where everything goes before you start. I put the cleats all round, then do holders for chisels, screwdrivers etc in modules of 250 and 500 mm. In fact I have swapped the locations of stuff quite substantially since first put up. Just today I moved the pliers rack to a new position as I found I was walking too much each time I wanted to get one.

I actually decided where my (up high) cupboards were going in a fixed position, because it was obvious in my shop. But they can certainly be on FCs too so even these are flexible.

Keith

This has been great, thanks guys. I've formulated a plan of attack...

1) Cover floor with EVA interlocking tiles. £32. bargain.
2) General restructure of layout to maximise timber size that can be used on the bench and the RAS
3) 3 runs of horizontal French cleats from waist height upwards at 400mm (?) centres to allow storage options
4) Open up the garage door, fit some extra security to it, fit draught excluders
5) Possibly move the 2 central bulbs to be a total of 4, with the bulbs at either side of the room so avoid blocking light when at a bench.
6) Remove 2 sets of racking through the use of wall storage on the cleats

I reckon that should cover it off!

Rick,

where did you get your tiles from? are they firm enough to run machines on castors over?

mark

Going to get them tonight so I'll find out. It's something that has crossed my mind as they're made for a workshop but give precious little research information other than being branded by Rolson.

For lighting, i use these:
http://m.screwfix.com/p/f1812-2-double- ... 240v/71555

Very bright, but aimed at ceiling they light entire garage brilliantly. I guess they use a load of electricity, but i tend to work with garage door open so don't use them loads. I just mounted them to wall but can move outside if working there.

Loads of other options, but this works for me.

Nick

I've just got a couple of daylight bulbs in there at present that to be fair give great light, but I can't claim to be slim enough to let light pass through me!!

See my sig for a tour of my garage, similar setup to yours. As echoed here I would recommend:

1. Get as much stuff off the floor as possible, particularly shelving / racking
2. Consider re-organising your lumber, either on a wall rack or on the roof

Good luck!

Back