suggestions for a new scroller

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hazel

Established Member
Reaction score
hi, I'm new to the forum but felt should jump in somewhere as been lurking for a few days now lol

I bought a scroll saw at an auction on Saturday, at the moment we are having a workshop makeover so won't have a chance to use it yet. But once I do have time what sort of projects would you advice for a first time user of a scroll saw? Any tips that may be handy or good books to look into?

I think a scottoe dog is a good way of learning the basics. You can find one in google imaages. If you have never used a scroll saw before I would suggest you get some thinish scraps and draw some lines on them and then try to follow the lines. When you have progressed to the stage where you are feeling more confident let me know what patterns you would like to have a go at and I will send you some.

Hi Hazel

I am quite new to scroll sawing, started when I was going to paint my bedroom (long story,needed dressing table with drawers and then......)
I had no idea where to start, but think 1st things I googled (images) were small boxes, then scroll saw patterns, intarsia/segmentation......you will find one thing leads to another. Because I had no experience with woodworking other than building flatpack, I didn't know what I wasn't supposed to be able to do.
My advice is try anything, and as you have found this forum early on, you will find LOTS of advice and encouragement :D

Hi Hazel.

A good site for free easy to cut patterns. http://www.saw4fun.com.

For more advanced patterns Google, Scroll Saw Workshop Steve Good.

Welcome to the forum.

Enjoy your scrolling.

Chris R.

thanks for all the replies :)

I have used a scrollsaw before, but not for a LONG time... I shall have a look on google images and on the link that was shared and see what I can find

Hi Hazel a very warm welcome to a great site,with some great members to help you if you need help.It will be nice to see your projects when you really get going.

Bryan

Latest posts

Back