Studding detector

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HowardM

Established Member
Reaction score
Every stud detector I have bought has been dead after a layoff.
I am looking for recommendations for a reliable/versatile/quality unit.

thnks

I have a super cheep Stanley InteliSense Pro that I have been using for years. It takes two AA batteries so no problem with them going flat. It does its job just fine for wooden and metal studs and also finds pipes and live wires even more effectively than hammering a nail into the way. As a casual renovator it has served me well.

Have tried a few but they dont seem to last. The battery usualy leaks by the time I use it again. They also don't seem to like foil backed plasterboard. I tend to tap the wall to see where its solid behind and avoid areas above sockets etc.

If you are just trying to find the wooden studs all you need is a decent magnet, run it over the wall and it will stick to the plasterboard nails/screws :)

I store mine with the batteries removed. I've found if fixing a horizontal batten stud location not really problematic as I tap a small gauge pin every 40mm or so until I hit stud. When the batten is in place the pin holes are covered.

Colin

Never thought to look for nails/screws. Will try my metal detecting pointer today and see how I get on.
Alasdair

If you are just trying to find the wooden studs all you need is a decent magnet, run it over the wall and it will stick to the plasterboard nails/screws :)
Yes they work really well. Ideally a rare earth magnet about size and shape of half a pencil. The end pin-points the screw or nail.
Only prob is they get lost easily - attach themselves to a bit of metal and escape the building. Or get left on the job and found a year later half way up a wall. Perhaps a attach a marker like a bit of coloured ribbon or something.

Latest posts

Back