String width on staircase.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stormer1940

Established Member
Reaction score
Just a quick one... What is the best way to determine the width of string that is needed for a staircase? Staircase is straight and the going will be 243mm by 219mm rise, staircase will be approx 865mm wide...

Many Thanks

Nick

I've been gluing two 6x2" to make mine i.e. finishing about 280mm.
Draw it out - basically you need at least about 2" beyond the pitch line and a bit extra on the underside depending on what you are going to with it. 12" should do it for most.

I have just drawn it on AutoCAD and, to give 50mm above the front pitch line and 75mm below the rear pitch line, you would need stringers 304.4mm or 12" wide.

Hi

Just to add a further comment, it depends on whether or not you are intending on" open" of "housed" stringers. If your stringers are "housed" you don't need to leave as much as 75mm below the pitch line at the bottom of the riser/tread interface point, because with 2" thick stringer you will only rebate the housings about 3/4" (Don't forget to use a special housing cutter) so still have 1 1/4" thickness remaining.

With an open stringer then Whiskywills' 304mm is correct

David

Back