Streaky Oak

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lucky9cat

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi

I've just started a new project of a couple of side tables for a friend of mine. I purchased the wood, some European (Ukrainium, I think) oak about a month ago and have just started to prepare it to find the colour is very variable changing from light brown to white in places. This is not just the difference between heart and sap wood (or at least I think not) as it changes going up and down the boards as opposed to changing going across the grain. Does anyone know any remedies for evening out the colour?

Cheers, Ted

Just thought I'd add a pic to show what I mean.

streaky_oak.jpg

Ted

Ted

Looks like you have some nice quarter sawn oak there, why can't you try and incorporate the changes into your design?

It's funny, I showed it to my wife (who's pretty artisic) and she said exactly the same and started to re-arrange the boards to her liking. "Make a feature out of it "- I find it hard to think like that but that's the route I'm taking. Thanks for your view. It makes it easier to have it confirmed :D

Cheers, Ted

Back