Strangely built coffee table reduced in size.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Genius, I buy a lot of furniture for student housing. How it makes me chuckle when people say its quality and will last a lifetime.
Spray on wood veneer, balsa wood quality MDF. Iron screws in oak. I always feel happier when the staff just say its cheap therefore it will not last forever. We all know the score you are not going to get quality for peanuts.
Whats really wrong is all the solid wood furniture done badly and expensively ie Habitat etc. It just saddens me that they have wasted a big bit of nice wood, when we are struggling to get good sized timber for sensible money. Even worse are those solid leg tables that are just square without any detailing or anything. I know it is a look but they must be very easy to make off a saw/planer
Sorry slight rant there. THose or my own slightly jaded opinions and i do not mean to cause offense etc.
Owen

I think you have made a good job of the alterations. I see that you have a dual purpose table saw, but I would make sure you wash that table cloth before swmbo catches you with it :lol:

You've done a quality repair to an lousy first job

Not even the routed grooves match up in length, compared to that I must be in the super professional league :wink: :wink:

As an amateur / hobby woodworker it gives me hope seeing work like this! If a 'professional' can pass that off as fine carpentry then maybe my skills are better than I think they are...!!

Or maybe, realistically, the guy who did it was just a cowboy :lol:

Either way, John, you turned a half a$$ed effort into a nice piece of furniture, well done!

Gary

I've just seem this. That is absoutely horrific! I've been putting off making a table as I thought I wouldn't be able to do it: now I've seen that it can always be worse!

John,

Presumably thats just to prove that you don't need to take acount of wood movement every time :shock:

Cheers,

Dod

Johnboy":39wv7pe4 said:
I don't know what they paid for this but they tell me it was made by a professional cabinet maker. Makes me wonder why I take all the time trying to make things properly.

John

Hi John,

All that trouble you had reminds me of something I saw in a woodworking book: (I think it was 'The Workshop Book')

"Let the College of The Redwoods (James Krenov & Co.) teach you how to do it. I'll teach you how to make money from it."
I wonder if this is the sort of thing he meant?

Seems appropriate, but it's a sad state of affairs. Although it does illustrate a point. It was never meant to fall apart, and leaving aside the problem of the tabletop moving and splitting, it might have gone on forever without being noticed.

Nice work in the end though Johnboy

John :D

Benchwayze":2iyhd8i8 said:
All that trouble you had reminds me of something I saw in a woodworking book: (I think it was 'The Workshop Book')

"Let the College of The Redwoods (James Krenov & Co.) teach you how to do it. I'll teach you how to make money from it."

I think that quote was from the Scott Landis "Workbench Book". Had a picture of the bloke at his bench, which looked like a tip. The quote has always stuck in my mind as well - doing things "properly" and making a living at it are not always the same thing :wink:

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Hi Paul,

I searched out that article we both recalled.
It was as you say, in 'The Workbench Book', (p.133) and it concerned the 'chain-operated' tail vice this guy used.

I agree. His workbench was a mess. It made even mine look tidy.

With your experience in mind though, I must be wary of requests to modify furniture. We never know what we are letting ourselves in for, that's for sure.

Cheers Paul and Stay Lucky
John

:)

Latest posts

Back