Strange Request

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Whiskers

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys
I have a strange request from across the pond. Living in Canada pear wood is almost an unknown (at least from the suppliers I have used over the years). I’m building a 1779 wooden ship model that is made entirely of pear wood (from China). It is very expensive. After planking the hull and decks a few cracks/splits have reared their heads.
Now to my question: is there anyone out there who works with pear wood and as a result would have some sawdust? If someone could send me an envelope full of the sawdust it would be greatly appreciated. I will pay what you think is fair.
thanks

John Denike

Hi Guys
I have a strange request from across the pond. Living in Canada pear wood is almost an unknown (at least from the suppliers I have used over the years). I’m building a 1779 wooden ship model that is made entirely of pear wood (from China). It is very expensive. After planking the hull and decks a few cracks/splits have reared their heads.
Now to my question: is there anyone out there who works with pear wood and as a result would have some sawdust? If someone could send me an envelope full of the sawdust it would be greatly appreciated. I will pay what you think is fair.
thanks

John Denike

I would be interested to see some pictures of your project.

Your request would probably be a customs nightmare. I wouldn't know how to even start, but I don't have any pearwood myself so it is moot. Can you find anybody selling it over there and buy the cheapest, nastiest piece that they have and produce some dust yourself? There must be something that was put on the shelf but was hardly up to standard. Even a pen blank...?

I would look to another wood that has a similar colour like apple or maple to make your powder from. Failing that any of the powdered spices (mustard, curry, chilli or flour) in your kitchen that are the right colour will work just as well. Mix some with your glue and try it on a sheet of posterboard a similar colour to see how it looks when dry before using it on the ship.

Pete

I would be interested to see some pictures of your project.

Your request would probably be a customs nightmare. I wouldn't know how to even start, but I don't have any pearwood myself so it is moot. Can you find anybody selling it over there and buy the cheapest, nastiest piece that they have and produce some dust yourself? There must be something that was put on the shelf but was hardly up to standard. Even a pen blank...?
The only piece I can find is 200 miles away and about 2 board feet. I’d buy it but with shipping costs it is like buying gold. Thanks for your response.

I would look to another wood that has a similar colour like apple or maple to make your powder from. Failing that any of the powdered spices (mustard, curry, chilli or flour) in your kitchen that are the right colour will work just as well. Mix some with your glue and try it on a sheet of posterboard a similar colour to see how it looks when dry before using it on the ship.

Pete
Thanks for the spice tip. Never heard that one before. I have lots of cherry. Do you think it would blend in with the pear okay?

I'd try some of those wax filler sticks they use when doing furniture restoration.
You can find them in many colours. Sawdust and glue is best avoided, as it's very hard to match the wood.

Hello John I take it your a member of SOS they maybe be able to help you. I build model ships as well and if you can't get any joy else where I would be willing to post you some bits of Pear that I have, I'd rather send wood than saw dust, but the offer is there if you want it.

Paul

Hello John I take it your a member of SOS they maybe be able to help you. I build model ships as well and if you can't get any joy else where I would be willing to post you some bits of Pear that I have, I'd rather send wood than saw dust, but the offer is there if you want it.

Paul
Thanks Paul. You have a keen eye. Your offer is greatly appreciated. Trying to find some pear in Ontario Canada seems to be almost impossible. I will message you on SOS.
John

I'd try some of those wax filler sticks they use when doing furniture restoration.
You can find them in many colours. Sawdust and glue is best avoided, as it's very hard to match the wood.
Thanks for your response. I’m not a fan of the sticks but they might be the only solution.

I've no pear, but when I mixed saw dust with glue, I've never managed to get it the same colour as even the wood from which it came - the glue mix always dries darker. If you have found a way to solve that, please let us know!

I've got a log about 10" long. It's been in my w/s for the last 20 years waiting for a purpose. It's a wonder it hasn't gone into the woodburner. I could split a couple of bits off and put them in a padded envelope. I've no idea what the logistics would be like. PM if interested.
Brian

Jacob lots of fruit trees are grown here but you will find virtually none of it cut and sold as lumber. Orchards usually burn them up if renewing/changing an orchard or it may be cut and sold as firewood. Small private sawyers may get a tree or two occasionally from a back yard. Also most all of our orchards are planting dwarf varieties that are easier to pick or mechanically harvest and many areas are converting to grapes for wine because of greater profit. The only pear I've ever seen advertised has been Swiss pear. Not sure if it is a marketing term or if it actually grows there.

Pete

Pear used to be used for drawing squares before plastic came along but might still be found. Shame to cut up a new square but needs must ? 😲

Back