Straightening saw blades.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt1245

Established Member
Reaction score
I've got quite a number of old tenon and dovetail saw now, but some of them have bent blades. Is it possible to straighten them and what the best way of going about it?

Thanks

Matt.

Yes they can but I think MikeW would one of the best to ask :)
Ps have you seen his saws :wink:

Hi Matt, web site is in my profile [just updated it]. But here's a link.

To the question. It is possible that the blades are not really bent, at least if it is an even, gentle curve. Often it is simple the back has been moved over time--generally down at the toe--and this puts a tension on the blade which is trying to shove the blade back towards the handle and causes the bow.

If the back is not reusted to the blade you can carefully clamp the blade between two boards and pry the back up at the toe and about half way to the handle. Well, do the mid point first...

If there is an actual sharp bend they generally cannot be straightened as the saw plate will stretch and or crack. If they are old, they most likely will just crack.

The good news is they can have new blades put in if they cannot be fixed otherwise.

Take care, Mike

Cheers for the new link Mike, couldn't find the saw page from the other one.

Just had a look at one saw, it is a gentle curve so i'll try your suggestions and see how i go on.

Is the steel from modern saws ok to be used for new blades, one you have got rid of those nasty hardpoint teeth?

Also i have easy access to thin brass sheet, is it possible to use 2 layers (epoxied together) to for the spine, or am i better just sourcing thicker brass?

Thanks.

Matt.

Latest posts

Back