Straight edge fo cutting long sheets

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phil2010

Established Member
Reaction score
Can you recommend a straight edge for long sheets,i have seen the ones that come in two parts from trend.

U could just plane (with a jointer plane) one side of a long piece of wood and use that as a straight edge

Next level of sophistication is probably a length of a suitable aluminium extrusion.

I have the two pierce Festool option which i use for carving up ply sheets, and am actually not a great fan of the jointing system (two slip-in keys held by clamping screws) - it's quite fiddly to keep straight because the keys don't prevent inaccurate assembly, or its getting nudged out of line in use.

To the point where every time i make a cut i end up using a six foot aluminium level to verify that it's straight...

phil2010":ajipa8n6 said:
Can you recommend a straight edge for long sheets,i have seen the ones that come in two parts from trend.
I sometimes use a piece of mfc shelving from B&Q. Not sure what the longest length is but will be 8' or more.
Or a chalk line for longer stuff.
Or plane up a piece as LuptonM says.
Who needs sophistication? :lol:

Good morning,
You may cut along an anodized aluminium straight edge as shown in the below drawing. Four-meter long, easy to find and buy and use but also very versatile. Builders use them for plastering cement work.

edging_powersaw-214c0e0.jpg

Best Regards

Back