Stots/Dakota dovetail jig

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris_belgium

Established Member
Reaction score
Will be buying one off these two jigs,

dttma.jpg

http://www.stots.com/

DKD51.jpg

http://www.rutlands.co.uk/power-tools-&-accessories/routing/jigs---dovetail/DKD51/dovetail-system

My question is, can a jig like this be used with any kind of dovetail router bit? Or do they have to be used with the specific dovetail bits they came with? Would rather buy the stots jig without the bit and then buy a quality bit at wealden. If they have to be used with a specific bit then i'd probably buy the rutlands one.

I have a STOTs jig and have been trying to interest others here in it but they seem hell bent on wasting cash on expensive metal gadgets.

You can buy your dovetail router bit from anywhere and use it with impunity.

Good luck
regards
Alan

beech1948":w5pxpa4h said:
I have a STOTs jig and have been trying to interest others here in it but they seem hell bent on wasting cash on expensive metal gadgets.

You can buy your dovetail router bit from anywhere and use it with impunity.

Good luck
regards
Alan

Stots it is then :D thanks!

chris i have the rutlands jig and the straight cutter cuts an angle.This is due to the jig shape and as this is fixed,
i presume the dovetail bit has to match.

ps i watched some sm the other day on tv (hungary or bulgaria) and it was a supercross track in tarmac :shock:
72!

andycktm":2yml4ug0 said:
chris i have the rutlands jig and the straight cutter cuts an angle.This is due to the jig shape and as this is fixed,
i presume the dovetail bit has to match.

ps i watched some sm the other day on tv (hungary or bulgaria) and it was a supercross track in tarmac :shock:
72!

I'll go with the stots jig anyway, since you can use any cutter with it and I already have a wealden straight cutter, so I'll just order a good quality dovetail cutter. I've read some bad reviews here about rutlands/dakota so I'd like to avoid them. And also that Stot's guy looks like a passionate woodworker who sells jigs instead of a big faceless company like rutlands, so I prefer spending money with him.

Woops put the wrong URL in the link. The track you are talking about is in Bulgaria, one day i'll do a track day there, one day ....... :)

Are the jigs not basically the same? therefore the same logic applies?

Bulgaria ahh! that was one hell of a track. :D

I have the Dakota jig and have been very happy with it. I do however use the cutters that came with it. I would have bought the Stots jig but couldn't get hold of one at the time but am now happy with the one I bought. I also read the horror stories of the Dakota jig and use a couple of springs above the bearings as a safety precaution. :wink:

Chris_belgium":132y45nv said:
Will be buying one off these two jigs,

dttma.jpg

http://www.stots.com/

DKD51.jpg

http://www.rutlands.co.uk/power-tools-&-accessories/routing/jigs---dovetail/DKD51/dovetail-system

My question is, can a jig like this be used with any kind of dovetail router bit? Or do they have to be used with the specific dovetail bits they came with? Would rather buy the stots jig without the bit and then buy a quality bit at wealden. If they have to be used with a specific bit then i'd probably buy the rutlands one.

Am I missing something here - do Stot's ship to the UK? the site takes me to 3dwoodworkingsupply to buy, but it says there they only ship to US addresses?

Yup! that's the problem I had, couldn't find anyone in the uk who stocks it. Hence the reason I bought the Dakota one. Still happy with it though, so easy to use. :wink:

jadboog":ito2snvy said:
Am I missing something here - do Stot's ship to the UK? the site takes me to 3dwoodworkingsupply to buy, but it says there they only ship to US addresses?

Hi all.

I think shipping to UK will cost 15$
I order something more that Sotos jig so I pay 45$.
Payment > PayPal.

Yes they will, I've recieved mine a couple of weeks ago and it works exactly as advertised, very very simple!

It only works with a 7° (if I recall correctly) dovetail bit, I've looked around the web briefly but couldn't find one, so I ordered the set they offer on their site.

All in all a nice product for a very reasonable price!

tigerhellmaker":d34sc3fo said:
Chris_belgium":d34sc3fo said:
It only works with a 7° (if I recall correctly) dovetail bit, I've looked around the web briefly but couldn't find one, so I ordered the set they offer on their site.
Chris You scary me , I order stots without bits.
> No 7 only 8 degree :D
> axminster 8 degree bits
>CMT 7 degree bits
Stots manual

It has to be a bearing guided bit, that was the main problem, found a couple of normal bits with the right angle, but couldn't find a bearing guided one. In the end I just took my loss and ordered one form the US costing me an additional 15$ in shipping costs.

tigerhellmaker":prx4zbzl said:
I can't understand you in 100%
But when i buy this set:
Guide Brush Set
Bush sizes: 5/18", 3/8", 7/16", 1/2", 5/8", 51/64", 3/4"
>Dovetail cutter
21mm, 25mm or 32 mm length
In stost manual is 13/16 but I think 32mm will be also OK .

Didn't think of that possibility, that could work, but don't know for sure, you'll find out soon enough when the jig arrives :D .

Latest posts

Back