Storing Yew logs

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikec

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I have been given two yew logs, about 10" diameter 3ft long. :lol:

What is the best way to store and use them. I would like to make some natural edge vases and bowls. I was going to seal the ends with hot wax first to give me some time to think about how to use the timber.

How does yew behave if turned green :?:

Any suggestions :?:

Yew01.jpg

Hope this comes out OK its my first posting of a photo.

Regards,

Mike C

I have found yew to be a lot more stable than many other woods. Be very careful with the bark and leaves that I can see as that part is definitely poisonous :!: :!:

Depending whether you want to turn end grain or cross grain you could cut in half down the centre and then seal or just seal the ends.

Looking at the logs you should get some really nice grain patterns there with those branches.

Pete

yew turns lovely when green- but if its really green what ever you turn will have to be thin and even, another disadvantage of really green yew is that you cant wet sand it as the heart wood will contaminate the sapwood. i have some yew at the moment i will leave it a while for most of the free water to disappear then turn it.

to store them i leave mine outside coverd in old dust sheets out of direct sunlight.

cornucopia":lpahkr1q said:
to store them i leave mine outside coverd in old dust sheets out of direct sunlight.

Is that sheltered or do you allow the rain to get them wet? Just curious.

hello wizer
my log store is shelterd from wind and sun but not rain as i want my logs to lose moisture very slowly if at all in some case's

Thanks Guys,

I'll keep one log outside sheltered from the sun so it can keep wet and use the other fairly soon, probably divided up for vases and split for bowls.

Regards,

Mike C

As said above,I've always found yew to be one of the most forgiving of timbers to store and dry - although have sometimes had small cracks appear later in green-turned items.

Andrew

Back