Which end to turn a bowl from a Log

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glossopguy

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi guys
I'm getting into this bowl turning, but finding wood is getting to be a problem.
I have liberated some 9" diameter logs from a wind damaged Sycamore last year .
When I turn a bowl from the full log (is that end grain turning) some bowls turn fairly easily. However , Some just refuse to.
No matter how sharp, or the size of the angle of the chisel or how light the cut, it snags, sometimes very violently.
At the risk of sounding like a real dummy is there a right and wrong way to turn an End grain bowl ?
I've also noticed this on some egg cups Too.
Should you turn the Bowl from the Thick (rood side) end OR the Thin (twig side) end

I have never found end end or the other easier. They are always a lot harder than turning side grain. Something to be aware of though is that "downhill" for the cut is in the opposite direction to a side grain bowl.

If you are turning a lot of green end grain stuff, you may want to look into a ring tool (like this Ring Tool - not the ones for making captive rings). These are amazing for removing stock fast from end grain, especially wet timber. Drill a hole most of the depth, and use it pulling out towards you. Beware they catch in a different way to usual tools (rotating as well as digging in) and are completely useless for cross grain stuff. On a good day though, nothing can beat them - smooth and quick, when normal gouges are forever catching and leaving ridges.

I bet they are a sod to Sharpen .... but I'm not turning that much wood really
Its more which way round in the chuck makes Gouging the bowl easiest that I'm interested in

All I can say then is be prepared for splitting as the pith will remain in the bottom of the bowl

Regarding which way , I would say chuck jaws on the narrow end

I bet they are a sod to Sharpen .... but I'm not turning that much wood really
Its more which way round in the chuck makes Gouging the bowl easiest that I'm interested in
Yes, they are a pain! One of those tools that for a particular job is amazing, but terrible in every other way.

The direction in the chuck (holding root end or leaf end) won't matter. Just have a think about the direction of the grain before you cut. When doing an end grain bowl, you want to cut from the top to the bottom on the outside, and from the middle to the edge when hollowing. Feels odd, but should be much smoother.

I rarely do anything end grain unless it's purchased spindles which are cut from bigger stock and don't include the pith. If you do start with a whole log do check the tightness of your mounting. Often you are screwing into or gripping a not very strong bit of grain and it can easily slacken off a bit, especially if it's a bit out of balance when you start. That invites catches. So stop often and check/retighten if you need to.

I have just turned round the bowl i was trying to turn, even trying to cut a new Tennon for the chuck was a trial but it has worked !!!!
What was the Narrow end is now in the chuck and I'm able to gouge the bowl - How Strange !
Sycamore Branch wood is very tough to cut and blunts Chisels like MAD

The only time I hollow end grain is for tall vase or similar, always try and cut into the side of a "tree" not the end. I use the lyle Jamieson hollowing rig and it is simple and accurate and requires only finger tip control

https://lylejamieson.com/

Yes Dalboy .... Its the very Last design in that " wood grain paterns .pdf Im trying to do

I know it cuts against the grain for typical bowl turning - Pardon the intended Pun

If you are turning an end grain bowl, you cut the outside from edge to centre and the inside from centre to edge (the opposite way to a side grain bowl).

Ring tools or hook tools are great for this type of bowl and both are very easy to sharpen by hand with a flat stone or diamond card.

Hi guys
I'm getting into this bowl turning, but finding wood is getting to be a problem.
I have liberated some 9" diameter logs from a wind damaged Sycamore last year .
When I turn a bowl from the full log (is that end grain turning) some bowls turn fairly easily. However , Some just refuse to.
No matter how sharp, or the size of the angle of the chisel or how light the cut, it snags, sometimes very violently.
At the risk of sounding like a real dummy is there a right and wrong way to turn an End grain bowl ?
I've also noticed this on some egg cups Too.
Should you turn the Bowl from the Thick (rood side) end OR the Thin (twig side) end
I had the same problem years ago.
I found a local company that fells trees and I went to their yard, they had two piles of logs, 1 easy to split which were sold, and the knotty and crotchy logs in pile 2 which were free (loaded my car up).
I sometimes glue different planed wood together and turn that.
My gardener sometimes gives me logs also.

Hope this helps. Happy turning G man

Yes Dalboy .... Its the very Last design in that " wood grain paterns .pdf Im trying to do

I know it cuts against the grain for typical bowl turning - Pardon the intended Pun
Not all woods are suitable for end grain turning as many will split very readily. I have found that Yew is a good one as can be seen on this piece of turning.

As Paul stated about turning but with a little added when turning the inside work down in small increments which will help with supporting the thin sections, if you try and do it all in one go may cause chatter which can be hrad to remove the chatter marks

Attachments

• DSCF7459.JPG
    DSCF7459.JPG
    93.6 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCF7461.JPG
    DSCF7461.JPG
    67.4 KB · Views: 0
Back