STOPTOBER SMOKING

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike.C

Established Member
Reaction score
Who is going to join the Stoptober event and give up smoking for a month? If you can cut it out for 30 days then there's a good chance you can give it up for good and buy tools instead.

It's been 3 years now since I stopped giving-up-the-dreaded-weed-t37162.html and I'm well chuffed because I never thought it would last.

Cheers

Mike

I stopped smoking cigarettes ages ago and instead use an electronic cigarette. If you try the ones from the petrol station or cornershop you are wasting your time but a decent one for about £40 is far nicer than smoking as it actually tastes nice, you get a more satisfying drag and you can breathe properly.

Oh dear - I stopped smoking in August - does that mean I've done it all wrong? :lol:

I'm now hooked on nicotine replacement therapy mints - anyone know how to stop using these? I tried using Polos instead but they don't work :D

:) I stopped 8 years, five months, two weeks and four days ago. (at 23.59pm, seeing you ask)
It was excruciating - I used the tiny sublingual tablets, which are vile, and gum - the combination worked for me and I was quite a heavy smoker (40 a day on a quiet day).
I stopped the replacements after about five months, when the prescriptions were coming to an end, and for two days I was ill, cold sweats, shakes, you name it - you still have to shake the nicotine addiction long after stopping smoking.
I could kill for a cigarette once in a while - but I can't afford to make my circulation worse - a lifetimes smoking and now diabetes is already costing me my toes and parts of my feet.............and no, I don't feel better for it!

Still love the smell of a ciggy, esp a roll up, stopped 12 years ago.

I stopped about 10 years ago - I can't remember exactly.
It was the Allen Carr method - basically you, er, stop smoking, and that's all you have to do! No more fags!
You have to put up with the withdrawal symptoms but they are always intermittent and gradually fade away.
I told myself that the stronger the symptoms the more the addiction (the monkey on my back) was suffering and struggling to survive, in other words; no pain no gain, so you welcome the symptoms as in indication that you are winning the battle.
Non of the other methods worked - gum, plasters etc. You just have to stop. In the end it's much easier than you expect it to be.
I still very occasionally scrounge the odd rolly if I see somebody at it. I once found a little stash tin on a wall, Golden Virginia, papers, Zippo and all. Couldn't locate the owner so I smoked the lot. Didn't turn me on again, luckily.

Jacob":11sizi2x said:
I still very occasionally scrounge the odd rolly if I see somebody at it. I once found a little stash tin on a wall, Golden Virginia, papers, Zippo and all. Couldn't locate the owner so I smoked the lot. Didn't turn me on again, luckily.

My logic would say you haven't stopped, just don't smoke so often, but I suspect you will be able to explain how having a roll up every now and then is not smoking.

doctor Bob":g5e33wmb said:
Jacob":g5e33wmb said:

My logic would say you haven't stopped, just don't smoke so often, but I suspect you will be able to explain how having a roll up every now and then is not smoking.
Oh all right! Nearly stopped - sometimes a year or more may pass without me having one. I may never have another - not least because nearly everybody else has stopped.

My mother(who had long given up) said years ago that if she went out for a good night out and she accepted a cigarette from someone on the way there, she would be into her second packet before she got home - I think I'm exactly the same. I wouldn't dare even go near one. When my doctor tells me I've a week or two to live, I shall invest in several hundred cigarettes and a few dozen good Sumatran cigars (never did like Cuban)!.....and a case or two of Martell Cordon Bleu.... why not? and..........

I'm trying - again - but its seems to be going well. Only trouble is that I really really really enjoy Boots nicotine gum and mostly not for the nicotine so I may be making myself another bed to lie in.

I'm trying to stop smoking as a daily thing, I occasionally smoked a pipe for years as a guilty pleasure, before I joined a research group where most of my collegues and my academic supervisor were all smokers; which led me to smoke all the bloody time.

I'd like to think I can go back to occasionally smoking my pipe, but I'm going to have to give up entirely for long enough to conquer the cravings before I can consider it...

My Dad was on 40 - 60 Mannekin cigars a day, (the little dark ones that stink like hell), when I was a kid.

He stopped when one of us looked up at him coughing his cajunas up one morning and said, "Daddy, when are you going to die?"

Pretty strong reason, I guess.

Why the hell should I stop something that I have never understood or done?

If you get into a fire situation and inhale the smoke it will kill you in a few minutes, BUT if you stand with a bit of lit roll of leaves in your face and inhale that smoke deep into your lungs it makes you feel better? Can someone please tell me what the difference is?

I have never even had a fag in my mouth. I have never smoked, probably because my mother was doing 50 odd a day and was told that if she didn't stop it wiould kill her, I was about 10 then. I'm no angel, just someone who grew up with his mum blowing smoke out of the house on freezing days so dad wouldn't smell it in the house. Sister? Same as me. Father, up to 80 a day at times!

Why anyone would be stupid enough to even try it is totally beyond me, but I was always greatful that prats that did were paying loads of tax that I would have had to fork out if they didn't

Yep, that's right Phil. My nickname based on my favourite smoke. There was my tobacco tin, next to the computer, when I joined as a member all those years ago, and needed to think of a forum name.

Escudo was a lovely smoke. A combination of Virginia and Perique tobacco, pressed and cut into coin like discs. You can still buy it from the states, but sadly it is no longer available over here. Dunhill make something called Deluxe Navy Rolls which is very similar, and Orlik a smoke called Bull's Eye which is also very nice. That has an eye of Cavendish in the middle.

Glad to hear that your father, like me enjoyed a pipe of Escudo, wish I had a tin now. :( Must get some more from across the pond.

Cheers, Tony.

Back