stitched back hand

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

graduate_owner

Established Member
Reaction score
Forum members in Wales may have seen on TV news a report about a retired schoolteacher who cut off his hand with a mitre saw after a lapse in concentration, and was able to use it after having it stitched back on in hospital. Two points:-

1. It is yet another reminder about safety and how easy it is to get injured using machinery
2. Just because surgeons are really clever these days, it is not an excuse for carelessness in the workshop.

K

What a terrible thought, but, as we all know, it only takes a small lapse of concentration for disaster to strike!
Rodders

Yes apparently he said he did not realize he had done it until he couldn't pick up his piece of wood!!!!

Don't get too complacent with hand tools though ... I think more A&E visits are a result of accidents with knives, hammers etc than power tools. Harder to cut something off completely, for sure, but nerves, tendons and the femoral artery are worth looking after. One of my green woodworking friends had a visit to A&E recently after putting a hewing axe ito his leg :shock:

bugbear":36unevr0 said:
It would take a lot of willpower to cut off your hand with a hand saw...

BugBear (hand tool user)

If it was that or another sharpening thread....

dc_ni":2nubx55o said:
bugbear":2nubx55o said:
It would take a lot of willpower to cut off your hand with a hand saw...

BugBear (hand tool user)

If it was that or another sharpening thread....

=D> =D> =D> =D> =D> Very quick, and very true, well said!
Rodders

I saw this story and I tried to find out exactly how the accident happened, I'm always interested in the details so that I can learn from them, seeing as I don't want to repeat the situation.

I believe my saw has good safety features but I'd like to know how this happened so I can take note.

I read some where that his sleeve got caught in the blade.
I think its has got to be holding a piece of wood with your left hand on the right hand side of the saw.
I can't think any other way of getting your arm near the blade.

Pete

I saw another case of someone who had done this. Two guys fitting a kitchen, one cutting off short pieces of something with a mitre saw. His colleage distracted him by telling him it was time to stop for prayers, and in that time he brought the saw down and cut his left hand off. The ambulance driver on the TV programme commented that "it became quickly apparent that we could transport Mr XX and his arm to the ambulance separately".

An old friend and colleague, sadly now no longer with us, took off two fingers with a RAS (the da*n things scared me rigid even before that) got himself to hospital and proceeded to have a heart attack while they were attending to him. But they did ring his wife to ask if she could go out to his workshop to find the missing bits of finger. She was a nurse, so was not fazed by this, but the loose bits had been detached for too long to reattach. He admitted he was misusing the saw, but it was still a salutary warning.

dickm":3k2wjwqq said:
An old friend and colleague, sadly now no longer with us, took off two fingers with a RAS (the da*n things scared me rigid even before that) got himself to hospital and proceeded to have a heart attack while they were attending to him. But they did ring his wife to ask if she could go out to his workshop to find the missing bits of finger. She was a nurse, so was not fazed by this, but the loose bits had been detached for too long to reattach. He admitted he was misusing the saw, but it was still a salutary warning.

That's the thing: these accidents almost always happen when someone is using tools incorrectly, but it only takes a moment. The lesson, I think, is to never do the things we know are unsafe on the basis that "it's just one time" and "I'll be careful".

Off-topic, but what's RAS?

Regarding safety of hand tools, I once read the comment - ask yourself where this blade will go if it slips, and if the answer is ' in your hand' then move your hand before using the blade.

When it comes to power tools, ask yourself 'is this safe?' If the answer is no, then do it differently. It is just not worth taking chances. But then, I think we all do sometimes. So easy to say.

K

RAS = Rapid Amputation Saw.

Still wouldn't part with mine, as long as it doesn't part a part of me !

RAS = Radial Arm saw; its' like a circular saw but on an overhead track. My old boss almost cut through the top of his arm at the bicep using a mitre saw. Don't know the full details, but he'd got 3/4 of the way through before being able to stop it. He made a full physical recovery, though irrelevantly his marriage didn't, because his wife showed an almost complete lack of interest in what happened.

Latest posts

Back