still setting up workshop

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

prawnking

Established Member
Reaction score
still in the process of setting up workshop, just made small bench for metal working vice and bench grinder but the bench grinder vibrates throgh the workshop i have had the grinder for about 6 years and only used it a couple of times clamped to my workmate do you think its my grinder faulty as it was only £20 from b&q or is there something i can do to reduce vibration

otherwise, build a smaller tray which contains the grinder, and put some cheap foam in there.

then clamp this tray to the bench. but what you also need to do is check whether the wheel is balanced properly. it might be safer to first buy a new wheel that you know is properly balanced and working. with such balance, it may not vibrate as much.
first step is to remove wheel, and clean up shaft. remove wheels on both ends, if there are two. then set machine running again. does it vibrate still?

if not, you know it is the wheels, otherwise its the shaft, in which case it might be better to dump it and buy a grown up machine which you know is better.

so first check whether the machine and its wheels are correctly balanced before doing anything else.

paul :wink:

cheers for the replies, cant believe i never thought of trying it without the wheels on. will do later to c if it makes a difference.
will also get some of the vibration absorbing mat could be usefull in the workshop.
cheers

cheers for the advice, grinder is bolted down i think the shaft might be out of true so its causing the vibration need to get hold of a dial test indicator to check
cheers
shaun

Prawn It may just be that being a cheapo that it is fitted with cheap and nasty bearings or the fit between the bearings and housing or shaft is not good, this will amplify any out of balance at the wheel. Grinders do not run without some vibration because you are removing material from the wheels each time you use it, the material is not removed uniformly so the wheels will only ever be in balance when they have just been balanced or when new or unused.
You can sit it on a mat, but if you bolt it down through the mat you will lose most of the advantage of the mats isolation. If you feel strongly about isolating the grinder use some bobbin mounts and fairly hard ones at that 60 shore hardness. You can buy them from 'Robush'. But I would make this the last resort.

Latest posts

Back