Sticky Gear to make a mess with!.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Homeless Squirrel

Established Member
Reaction score
Looking for some glue to stick hopefully my chopping board together and not the Bench!,:eek::oops::p

Titebond 3 or their polyurethane gear? Want something that is impervious to finishing oil like Tung.

Something that fills gaps a tad could be good/useful as have a wonky design in my head!. As two lengths of oak around 30mm thick by 75mm deep mitred in middle so when put together like a cross but wider than higher/depth so like 1000mm wide by 700mm sort of thing then infill around it blocks end grain stepped like brickwork.

Other is brickwork style but thinning out as get to front and back

my 2 pence worth......
we had some outside furniture made and the guy used that expanding Polyurethane glue.....
After 2 years it's all comming apart.....thats the non stressed parts that were pin nailed together....
Bought some myself as a look see.......for it's gap filling properties.....
conclusion....
spend a bit more time getting closer fitting surfaces........
It did ok but a bit messy, diff to clean up wet and dry, then it went off in the bottle after a few months....750ml's....ouch.....
wont buy it anymore....
I just use water resistant PVA, plus dont go mad with the clamping...

pu is probably a bit poisonous as well. I really like titebond 3 I just feel it has numerous really good properties. it's thin wets the wood well. it's also relatively slow setting. it has far less tendency to grab than much pva. I tend to use pu on tight glue ups as it's slippy though. I used titebond on a couple of laminated bends and they seem fine. I know people advocate all manner of glues from very cheap d4 to green resin w but titebond helps cut down on choices and if using a glubot allows bigger bottle economy(has a decent shelf life)

I think expecting any glue to hold up in truly wet environments is not sensible. If you sit your chopping board in the sink full of water, or put it though the dishwasher you are asking for trouble. I've found epoxy pretty good for gap filling where joints are not tight, the epoxy will have no issue with water but the join between wood and epoxy will eventually give up if you get water soaking into it all the time.

The trick with P U glue is to purchase it in a cartridge tube to fit a gun. That way air isn't introduced into the container - as normally happens - so it doesn't have a chance to set hard. When you re-use it you will still have to poke the dried stuff down the nozzle and hook it out - but it won't set hard in the cartridge.

An alternative is the glue used for external ply, which is a type of Resorcinol resin. It shows up as that tell-tale, dark, reddish-brown, layer if the veneer is damaged. It is used for outside work though it is best used with darkish timbers so the glue -line won't show' It comes as a two-part liquid pack and has a pleasant, but distinctive smell

my 2 pence worth......
we had some outside furniture made and the guy used that expanding Polyurethane glue.....
After 2 years it's all comming apart.....thats the non stressed parts that were pin nailed together....
Bought some myself as a look see.......for it's gap filling properties.....
conclusion....
spend a bit more time getting closer fitting surfaces........
It did ok but a bit messy, diff to clean up wet and dry, then it went off in the bottle after a few months....750ml's....ouch.....
wont buy it anymore....
I just use water resistant PVA, plus dont go mad with the clamping...

I think expecting any glue to hold up in truly wet environments is not sensible. If you sit your chopping board in the sink full of water, or put it though the dishwasher you are asking for trouble. I've found epoxy pretty good for gap filling where joints are not tight, the epoxy will have no issue with water but the join between wood and epoxy will eventually give up if you get water soaking into it all the time.
Hi no it's not going to be drowned in a sink or dishwasher but might get a wipe over with a damp cloth!.
It's going to be oil finished with plenty of coats of Tung oil why i asked about being more impervious to oil finishes.

Back