Stew bowls

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

penman

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello again

Here at last are the soup and stew bowls I said I would show you

DSCF0159.jpg

This 8" X 3" and new

DSCF0157.jpg

This is 6" X 3" also new

DSCF0155.jpg

This one is an 8" well used one :D

They are all Beech (Fagus Sylvatica) supplied by Stiles and Bates
All of them are straight off the tool :lol: :lol:
They get a lot of use at this time of year, wonderfull for stew and dumplings as they keep the food HOT right down to the last mouthfull :p :p

Malcolm

when you say that they're straight off the lathe does that mean there's no finish on them???? If not what is the finish that you're using as bowls and indeed mugs are things which interest me somewhat as I can see a use for them in the workshop at this time of year!

Thanks

Miles

Nice,useable pieces - I like ancient pottery,so find the style and shapes very appealing as well.
Never had beech with grain like that,though.

Andrew

Hi Miles

By off the tool I mean there is no sanding done, I give the bowls a couple of coats of Chestnut foodsafe oil
http://www.stilesandbates.co.uk/CMS/pro ... e%20Finish
Which is just for show as the first time you use them this disappears. You can use any cooking oil to finish them with ie:- Sunflower oil, olive oil etc.

Just wash in warm water (no detergent) pat them dry and let them air dry before putting away.
Must try some mugs.
Good luck

Malcolm

John

The lower one of the three bowls has been used for about 12 months and as you can see there is no staining. If any thing they tend to get paler with use as you can see compared with the other two. If you reoil them they do get a bit darker. But who cares when they keep food so much hotter they're not for looks just eating from. :lol:
Another point wood is brown so is stew :lol: :lol:

Malcolm

General advice is not to use olive oil as itcan go rancid tho' if you are using these regularly I guess it isn't on long enough for that to happen.

Pete

Pete

No the bowls are used two or three times a week this time of the year :p :p

Malcolm

Now this is a really good idea, I love stew and this weather makes it all the more welcome. :D
Nice looking bowls, I should soon be able to turn stuff this big so many well borrow you idea. :roll:

I remember as 5/6 yr old eating out of wooden bowls and plates I would'nt even try to imagine what the food tasted like as it was that was available at that time "World war two" but everyone was the same and it does'nt seem to have harmed anyone. They look super and I love the shape may try a couple. Thanks for showing REgards Boysie

Pete

Re Robin Wood he did a demo at our club last year and his work is marvelous.

Malcolm

Boysie

Yew :lol: can't taste any thing from the wood so long as you use Beech or Sycamore.

Malcolm

Has any one got any 3" Beech or Sycamore availabe as I need to make a few more of these bowls.

Malcolm

Back