Steve's workshop - Painting the outside walls

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is so much easier with two. We have finished the soffit, well the cladding part of it anyway, it needs caulking and another coat of paint. The boards have had two but it's still patchy.

As there were two of us we could handle longer lengths, but that meant erecting the scaffolding again

P1030658.JPG

I filled and painted boards whilst Ray removed the rest of them from the RH side. Both sides are clean again now, just the back to remove and there aren't so many there.

When the paint was dry, we could start to put up again.

P1030657.JPG

When I'd originally trimmed the trusses, I hadn't appreciated just how much it matters that they are all in line. Mine are not, so there was quite a bit of trimming and packing out to do. The end result is good, but it's a bit like a pork pie, you really don't want to know what's involved in creating it.

P1030659.JPG

The last run was not a full width, and we had to remove the back of the groove to get it in, but I was pleased that the width of it varies by no more than 6mm in total from one end to the other. Over 8.5m I reckon that's not bad for a pair of amateurs. The only bit that was more out than that was the last 15" or so, and that is because the fascia board is bowed but the end result still looks OK.

P1030663.JPG

P1030664.JPG

We had a couple of things that held up up today. As well as the wonky trusses I'd put up the end support of the box in the wrong place so the boards didn't lie properly, but once we'd realised that was the problem, it was straightforward to sort out.

We finished late, but we finished. I still have the back of the RH box end to do and there is a load of caulking and painting to do, but I'm really pleased with what it looks like.

P1030665.JPG

Attachments

• P1030658.JPG
    P1030658.JPG
    194.5 KB · Views: 1,167
  • P1030657.JPG
    P1030657.JPG
    199 KB · Views: 1,167
  • P1030659.JPG
    P1030659.JPG
    211.9 KB · Views: 1,167
  • P1030663.JPG
    P1030663.JPG
    127.4 KB · Views: 1,167
  • P1030664.JPG
    P1030664.JPG
    152.4 KB · Views: 1,166
  • P1030665.JPG
    P1030665.JPG
    159 KB · Views: 1,166
I've not done a lot lately, not a lot of anything. Sleeping when I shouldn't. Zero energy for anything, even things I like doing. It's not quite a return to the dark days, but I don't like it.

So not a lot to show.

On Friday I did give the patchy soffit another coat of paint, it's not perfect but it is a lot better. I'm not giving it another one, it can stay like that. It's not bad.

P1030682.JPG

Nothing over the weekend and today I've spent more time in the kitchen than I have in the workshop. I made a batch of Stokie Oatcakes. It was gone 4 o'clock before I finally managed to drag myself down there and all I've done is empty my shopvac and paint the window frames. I have various tins of paint in the house and I could have sworn I had a tin of white eggshell. But I can't find it. I've used a bit of a can I bought for the bathroom, but once I'd put it on I didn't like it, far too cold. Tori. It doesn't look great here, either, but at least it's being used up. At £50 a tin it is too expensive just to dump and I'm fed up of sinking money into this.

P1030684.JPG

Ray's found me a length of worktop and a kitchen sink, so we are going over tomorrow to collect it. I've also found a length of worktop in my mum's garage. It must be 20 years old, but it still has the film on it. There is some water damage to it but mainly at the ends and it is long enough to cut them off and still be enough.

The garage roof has collapsed, so my bro and I are charged with the task of fixing it. It means removing what's left of the cement/asbestos-type corrugations and replacing them with corroline. But corroline requires more support than the meccano roof has, so we are going to cover it with OSB first. Which means that I will be able to get rid of a lot of the stack that is left over and taking up a lot of space in the corner.

Attachments

• P1030682.JPG
    P1030682.JPG
    139.6 KB · Views: 971
  • P1030684.JPG
    P1030684.JPG
    168.4 KB · Views: 971
Steve Maskery":1pnrelwi said:
...I'm fed up of sinking money into this.

Sure a space that size doesn't come cheap, but you are so close now Steve the vast majority of the cost (and effort) must be sunk into it by now. A bit of a push for the next few weeks and I'm sure you'll be there.

Terry.

Steve Maskery":251tl1o1 said:
I've not done a lot lately, not a lot of anything. Sleeping when I shouldn't. Zero energy for anything, even things I like doing. It's not quite a return to the dark days, but I don't like it.

So not a lot to show.

On Friday I did give the patchy soffit another coat of paint, it's not perfect but it is a lot better. I'm not giving it another one, it can stay like that. It's not bad.

Nothing over the weekend and today I've spent more time in the kitchen than I have in the workshop. I made a batch of Stokie Oatcakes. It was gone 4 o'clock before I finally managed to drag myself down there and all I've done is empty my shopvac and paint the window frames. I have various tins of paint in the house and I could have sworn I had a tin of white eggshell. But I can't find it. I've used a bit of a can I bought for the bathroom, but once I'd put it on I didn't like it, far too cold. Tori. It doesn't look great here, either, but at least it's being used up. At £50 a tin it is too expensive just to dump and I'm fed up of sinking money into this.

Ray's found me a length of worktop and a kitchen sink, so we are going over tomorrow to collect it. I've also found a length of worktop in my mum's garage. It must be 20 years old, but it still has the film on it. There is some water damage to it but mainly at the ends and it is long enough to cut them off and still be enough.

The garage roof has collapsed, so my bro and I are charged with the task of fixing it. It means removing what's left of the cement/asbestos-type corrugations and replacing them with corroline. But corroline requires more support than the meccano roof has, so we are going to cover it with OSB first. Which means that I will be able to get rid of a lot of the stack that is left over and taking up a lot of space in the corner.

I would check that the local tip will take asbestos type material before you load it in your car. My father had some issues with the same sort of stuff. It wasn't asbestos, but without proof they wouldn't take it.

Cement asbestos sheet and pipe work is accepted at our nearest site, have to register requirement to deposit, council send out sufficient large bags to allow it to be sealed against dust escape and a permit number with car registration record.
Just a case of putting it in dedicated container at the recycle centre for transport to landfill.

Thanks for all the advice on that, chaps, I'll ask at the local tip - it's just round the corner - before we take it out.
It's not that old, less than 20 years, so I'm pretty sure that there is no asbestos in it. I think it would have lasted a lot longer if it had.
S

I took some asbestolux sheet to the tip last year. i found it in the loft in perfect condition like new. I put it in a large waste sack and went to the tip. I told them what it was. Just a minute he says, they all go and get their white overalls and dust masks and dress up. No suit and mask for me mind. They then say I can get out of my car and bring the offending item. We all then go off to the secure asbestos skip. He unlocks and opens the door, sprays water everywhere and then says I have to place the item in the skip as they cannot touch it! So me the one with no dust mask has to go in a skip that actually could contain asbestos and place my double wrapped asbestolux into the skip. Do not throw or drop it! Where is the logic in that.
So take your own mask and overalls, you may need them!

We had to consider what we are going to do about landscaping, particularly across the front, but also down the sides. The back is no problem, we can leave it as it is.

But the ground falls away to the bottom of the garden, the workshop is lower than the rest of the garden. That is not helpful. This is largely due to successive builders scattering the ground they dug out over the rest of the garden which also means that my garden is higher than those of both my neighbours. This has caused some damage to the fence on the right, which belongs to my neighbour. There are gravel boards, but they have been set into the soil right down to ground level. Bonkers.

So I offered to install some gravel boards under the fence panels alongside the workshop. It would be better for both of us, as it protects their (very end of life) wooden panels, and it allows me to keep the ground fairly level along the sides, with a step down at the bottom, which no-one can see and fewer people care about.

So I started to shop around for gravel boards. We have a Travis Perkins in Kirkby. 22-something + VAT, not discountable. We also have a Keyline, same parent company. £15 inc VAT. Better. Ebay, there are plenty of people selling at £7 and even less, but collection only and none of them are round here. As far as I can tell it is exactly the same product.

But Ray knows what's what and where it is. So he says to go to Cold Comfort Farm and ask there. So I did. £8 each. That will do me, esp as they are the pretty, stone-faced ones and not the plain recessed ones.

So this morning Ray and I went along and picked up 6. But unfortunately the man who made them died a fortnight ago, so there won't be any more. I shall have to measure up what I need on the left, where there is a huge gap where the old garage used to be.

So I got them home and called in my mate Bob to help. They are carryable, but we also have to lift them 6ft into the air to slot them in.

P1030686.JPG

There are no pics of fitting. I could hardly ask Bob and Ray to say Cheese whilst I fannied about with a camera.

For some bizarre reason one of the fence panels is shorter than the others by about 3". So that meant some bespoke fitting.

P1030687.JPG

P1030689.JPG

Although the fence panels are not mine, it did make sense to make some running repairs as best we could. It's a losing battle, to be honest, but I'm hoping it will be good for neighbourly relations.

P1030690.JPG

P1030691.JPG

The result is a firm boundary against which I can lay some blocks. I expected just to lay slabs, but Ray has an enormous stock of red blocks which he is offering me at a very good price. But I have another problem. I have a back yard - it might have been meant as a patio when it was built - but it is far from planar, it's got no fall and so I get puddles of dirty water which results in puddles of mud. There are also a couple of voids which used to be decking and a raised bed in a non-sunny place. So it's a bit of a mess. I didn't realise how scruffy it looked until I took this photo!

P1030693.JPG

So the plan is this. Take up the yard and use the blocks around the workshop, then lay a new patio with the red blocks. They are very red, but I'm hoping they will mellow a bit.

P1030694.JPG

It's quite a lot of work and I think Ray is beginning to wish he'd not suggested it.

Finally, whilst I had another pair of hands, I fitted a length of worktop. This isn't actually the one I found at mum's, this has come out of a kitchen of one of Ray's friends. It's obviously old, the front edge rolls only over the top, there is no roll at all underneath the bottom. But it looks fine and was big enough. The one from Mum's is nicer and I can use that in my laundry room (AKA old coalhouse) in the house.

P1030692.JPG

I've also acquired the sink from the same kitchen refurb, but I can't install that until I have proper drainage...

Attachments

• P1030686.JPG
    P1030686.JPG
    242.2 KB · Views: 1,119
  • P1030687.JPG
    P1030687.JPG
    246.5 KB · Views: 1,118
  • P1030689.JPG
    P1030689.JPG
    206.1 KB · Views: 1,119
  • P1030690.JPG
    P1030690.JPG
    211.8 KB · Views: 1,119
  • P1030693.JPG
    P1030693.JPG
    244.9 KB · Views: 1,119
  • P1030694.JPG
    P1030694.JPG
    183.6 KB · Views: 1,119
  • P1030692.JPG
    P1030692.JPG
    140 KB · Views: 1,119
  • P1030691.JPG
    P1030691.JPG
    221.5 KB · Views: 1,118
Constantly photographing Ray working is a bit of a gloat, but adding to your collection of bearded helpers with a Bob is just showing off!

Latest posts

Back