Steve's workshop - Painting the outside walls

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I missed it! I wanted to see it turn! Ah well.

I was outside digging. As I have mentioned, the land falls in an unhelpful direction, so in order to have the paving fall away from the building we are going to build a low retaining wall. We'll also have to dig up some concrete, so I've ordered a couple of diamond blades today. I have only a 4 1/2" angle grinder, but Ray has a 9" one. I just hope it is powerful enough and we don't have to hire a petrol jobbie.

P1030695.JPG

Attachments

• P1030695.JPG
    P1030695.JPG
    229 KB · Views: 901
We wheeled the remains of my Router Table down to the workshop several weeks ago, since when it has been sitting there looking very sad indeed.

P1030698.JPG

Although there are a couple of drawer fronts off, I do still have them. I'd tried to clean one up by washing it with a bit of bleach, but it did not get rid of the black discolouration. So there was nothing for it but to tart it up. I took off all the knobs and handles and gave it a coat of Mint eggshell.

P1030699.JPG

which has done it a power of good. The drawers never fitted very well, but they had become very stiff indeed, but a squirt lithium grease sorted them out quite well. They are still not excellent, but they are useable.

P1030702.JPG

I've bought a Kreg router plate, but it is a different shape and size to the one I had before. It is shorter and wider. If it was bigger all round I could fix it, but it is not easy to do a good job of filling the gaps, so it seemed sensible to make a new top.

I bought a sheet of 15mm MRMDF and cut a couple of pieces 950 x 700mm. I decided that I'd press them in a vacuum, but I had to improvise. I do still have one of my vac bags, but not the pump to evacuate it. If anyone has a vac pump they don't use, please let me know, I do want to replace mine.

So I took one of my vacuum bags for clothing and slipped the top in that.

P1030700.JPG

P1030701.JPG

I had limited success. To start with it went well and the bag did evacuate. But then the bag itself split. It didn't immediately collapse, not as long as I kept the shopvac going. So I left it running whilst I went up to the house to wash out the roller.

Unfortunately when I came back a few minutes later the shopvac was silent and the bag was full of air :(

I think what happened was that the shopvac got hot because there was no air flowing through it and the thermal cutout swung in. Fortunately, when I switched it off and switched it back on again (the IT engineer in me), all was well again. Good job, as this was actually only the first time I'd used my Fessy, I've been using my Lidl more generally, but the Fessy has a nice soft nozzle. which is ideal for this, as the bag does not have a socket.

So the two layers are not bonded as tightly as I had hoped for, I'll have to see if it is good enough in a day or two. I might have to make it again :(

Attachments

• P1030698.JPG
    P1030698.JPG
    205.1 KB · Views: 761
  • P1030699.JPG
    P1030699.JPG
    213.1 KB · Views: 761
  • P1030702.JPG
    P1030702.JPG
    190 KB · Views: 760
  • P1030700.JPG
    P1030700.JPG
    246.1 KB · Views: 760
  • P1030701.JPG
    P1030701.JPG
    247.7 KB · Views: 760
Slow down Steve. I appreciate that when a project gets to the final stage it's tempting to speed up to cross the finishing line, but that's when the mistakes get made.

Now's the time for a cup of tea and some patience!

Steve Maskery":1hkp2der said:
Terry
I had a tin already.

That is a jolly good reason for going for a mint router table - though I have to say, on the second or third look it is kind of growing on me!

Terry.

Well on the way to being in Mint condition once again, a breath of fresh air for the old girl, pity it was old mint and not Fresh Mint, it would have added a bit more spice to the project.

Steve Maskery":24a5i7bv said:
Hey, c'mon guys, it's not that bad, is it? My bathroom is that colour and it looks great! Well, I think so, anyway.
Retro, I'll admit.
S

Please tell me you don't have an avocado suite?

Peter Sefton":nc09d3z2 said:
Is it Festool green?
Well it's certainly not 'shipyard green' as used extensively in Knottingley, West Yorkshire, for painting gates, fences, sheds, window frames, doors, workbenches, garden furniture and even cars. Well, in days gone by it was easily obtainable (aka stolen) by people who worked at the shipyard. Must have been good stuff though, there's still lots of it to be seen around the town!

Chris

Funny that, seem to remember most of my wartime made toys like ride on tractor, a barking Pluto (dog) battleship and toy fort with lead soldiers were all various shades of oil based camouflage paint, can still remember the smell.
The smell was even strongly evident on VE day Bonfire on the adjacent balloon barrage field* as it must have been used to get things going.

(*For Brummys, adjacent to the corner of Highters Heath Lane and Maypole lane, (now Arundel road area I believe) there was a paint factory nearby.

Back