Steve's workshop - Painting the outside walls

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Steve Maskery":1u87tuyg said:
I've been to see a truss company today, actually. They are only a couple of miles away. We'll see what they come up with.
I also have a TP withing walking distance, so I'm not short of options.
S

You might also like to try Jewson's as I find Travis to be very pricey. http://www.jewson.co.uk/working-with-yo ... enquiries/

Have you thought about running an ethernet cable out to the workshop? Or any sort of small capacity cable for alarms etc?

Steve Maskery":2k70sagp said:
I've been to see a truss company today, actually. They are only a couple of miles away. We'll see what they come up with.
Truss Tech Steve?

Steve Maskery":2k70sagp said:
I also have a TP withing walking distance, so I'm not short of options.
S

If you tell them you're in the trade they do a cash account card, I use the Mansfield branch handy for sheet materials.

Steve Maskery":2hf7ltec said:
I am also mulling over the idea of having a removable panel, say 200mm high, all round the room. Then access would be guaranteed.

I think Frank Howarth did a removable strip all round his workshop for electrics. Seems a good solution for an environment where machine placement will vary over time.

No skills":2up26dwh said:
I think Frank Howarth did a removable strip all round his workshop for electrics. Seems a good solution for an environment where machine placement will vary over time.

You are correct he did wire out his workshop in that fashion.

A good option would be dado trunking.
It's east to fit and very easy to install into. It's expandable and alterations can be done neatly and safely.
Depending upon the size used a few circuits could be run to suit requirements.
The Marshall Tufflex stuff is oh so lush but it is expensive.

Well it been quiet here for a few weeks, but that doesn't mean I've been totally idle.

I've been finalising the details of the building structure, I've finally finished knocking down the rest of the old walls and today I've ORDERED THE TIMBER FOR THE BUILD. Yippee! It should arrive Wednesday.

The timber was supposed to arrive yesterday but the weather forecast was so bad I postponed it. In the event, we had almost nothing until the evening and this morning was wet. However, the delivery arrived just before noon, by which time it had stopped raining. They don't show on the photo, but he is very close to half a dozen telephone wires. No problem, none of them are mine...

20140605_115621.jpg

20140605_115638.jpg

20140605_121032.jpg

An then, after 3-and-a-half hours of humping about:

20140605_153651.jpg

I did about a third of it on my own and then my mate Stuart turned to help with the rest. It was very welcome. Not knackeringly hard work, not like the demolition was, but I know that tonight I'm going to have aches on my aches. And as Stuart pointed out, it's better than paying out to go to the gym.

A Very Nice Man on this forum has persuaded a mate of his, who doesn't know me from Adam, to lend me a Paslode, so that is going to save me hours and a sore arm. I certainly wouldn't lend my Paslode to a total stranger, there are very few people I'd lend any tools to, TBH, but I'm glad to be the recipient of such generosity. Just got to find a decent Single Malt as a Thankyou.
S

Attachments

• 20140605_115621.jpg
    20140605_115621.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 914
  • 20140605_115638.jpg
    20140605_115638.jpg
    171.5 KB · Views: 914
  • 20140605_121032.jpg
    20140605_121032.jpg
    177.7 KB · Views: 913
  • 20140605_153651.jpg
    20140605_153651.jpg
    157 KB · Views: 913
Please let that not be true! I was rather hoping this was the beginning of the easier-and-more-fun bit!

I feel like I've been put on a rack.

S

Knocking stuff down is fun and easy. Now you have to measure and lift and join and work stuff out ;-)

I'm sure it will be fun too!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Steve - if you really want to say 'thanks' a bottle of Lagavulin would be my choice. Not cheap, but worth every penny.

The pile of wood looks ace, can't wait to see progress.

Now, you see, Lagavulin would not be mine. Too harsh, too smokey) and I don't mind a bit a smoke in my scotch), too everything, really.
In the old life, Glenmorangie was my normal tipple, but I had a cupboard of different malts. Now I have to drink Bells :(. Actually, the Aldi/Lidl versions are not bad. Lidl used to do a single malt, too. I forget its name but apparently it used to be something else, Lidl bought the distillery and rebranded it. Nice drop. Not seen it for ages though, so I don't know why they stopped it, it was good stuff.
S

Just along the road are some blocks of flats. Square, flat-roofed, ugly as sin. But only 3 storeys, so that's something to be grateful for. They are being renovated, covered in pink foam insulation and rendered.

The builders throw away tons of waste insulation, so I had a word with the gaffer and I currently have 5 bags, each about a cubic metre in size.

20140606_100006.jpg

There are 2 or 3 more building to do yet. What do you reckon that I won't have to buy any insulation? :)

Attachments

• 20140606_100006.jpg
    20140606_100006.jpg
    128.8 KB · Views: 1,052
That's good news! I just had my next lot delivered, so far 400sqm of 10cm thick insulation, and we're not finished yet!

Do you think it's going to be easy to put that jigsaw together though? a Japanese saw is excellent for cutting it I found.

Back