Steve's workshop - Painting the outside walls

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
None Steve, sorry

They probably wouldn't fit in the Alfa even if I had one.

Is there a local hire place? HSS do them for £6.35 a day.

Pete

Pics as promised.
We were going to build a foundation wall and slab to that, but Ray decided that it was easier, cheaper, quicker and better just to shutter up and pour. Well what's to argue against?

So we cut more of the old rafters and set out three bays for casting. This is becasue we don't have a tamping board that is over 8m long, and if we did we probably would not be able to shove it.

You will notice that we are using the old blocks as infill in the lower areas of the floor.
P1020594.JPG

When there was not enough room for whole blocks we lay out rubble and whacked it down.
P1020595.JPG

We've stuck a few bits of insulation foam in any gaps, and used some to create access for electricity and water.

So I think we are ready. The vacant square in the middle is roughly where my TS will be, so I'm having solid concrete there with no infill. With the 10" base that is already there I think it should be adequate...

I have a team of 7 blokes lined up for concreting at 11.30 tomorrow. The weather forecast is for heavy rain overnight, which will help us by wetting the blocks so they don't suck the water out of the concrete too quickly and then for just a shower or two while we are working. Fingers crossed.
P1020597.JPG

S

Attachments

• P1020594.JPG
    P1020594.JPG
    110.1 KB · Views: 1,262
  • P1020595.JPG
    P1020595.JPG
    203.6 KB · Views: 1,261
  • P1020597.JPG
    P1020597.JPG
    127.7 KB · Views: 1,261
What a day.
Concrete man arrived early. Pete and his son Sam had just arrived and the two Dave's were on their way. We were just about to get cracking when I tripped on the kerb and fell over. I'm afraid to say that I uttered a rude word. This time last year I was on crutches and I'm only just getting back being properly mobile, so for a moment I was absolutely terrified. Fortunately it was my good knee that I fell on and it's just a bruise. Close call though.

The concrete is mixed at the site, so we can't run out and we don't have spare. We'd reckoned between 5 and 6 cubic metres, but as it was so irregular in depth, it was difficult to be more precise. We barrowed, we tamped. The rain kept off...
P1020600.JPG

Charlie was back, a glutton for punishment
P1020601.JPG

and Racers, with his son Sam.
P1020602.JPG

P1020603.JPG

As we came to do the centre bay it became more difficult because we could not get to the ends of the tamping board, but we did it eventually. 6.25 cubic metres.

Just as we poured in the last barrowload the heavens opened and it absolutely poured down. There is some pooling, so we are a tad low in the middle, but it is not bad. I can measure it when it has cured a bit. If it is only a couple of millimetres I can live with that, it's got to have 50mm insulation and two layers of chipboard over it yet, I think it will be fine.
P1020605.JPG

P1020610.JPG

So with any luck the hardest part is done. It's just the biggest part left.

Attachments

• P1020600.JPG
    P1020600.JPG
    219.7 KB · Views: 1,206
  • P1020601.JPG
    P1020601.JPG
    176.2 KB · Views: 1,206
  • P1020602.JPG
    P1020602.JPG
    177.7 KB · Views: 1,206
  • P1020603.JPG
    P1020603.JPG
    184.5 KB · Views: 1,205
  • P1020605.JPG
    P1020605.JPG
    142.9 KB · Views: 1,206
  • P1020610.JPG
    P1020610.JPG
    153 KB · Views: 1,206
looking good, i'm guessing you prefer woodwork to gardening. Is it going to be super insulated for noise? Looks like you have plenty of helpful friends.

I always think that once the base is down the rest is fun, with much more sense of daily achievement. Having said that you should be well chuffed, that's a bloody big looking base.

I was going to use SIPS, but the company messed me about, so I'm going to build it the American way.

I am discovering, however, that the Americans don't agree on how it should be done! Traditionally it has been 2x4s on 16" centers; sorry, I mean 4x2s on 16" centres. But sometime in the latter part fo the 20th Century the US government actually did some research and came up with Advanced Framing (AF). 2x6s instead of 2x4s, and on 24" centres. So it's about the same amount of timber (50% wider but 50% further apart) but all the trusses sit directly on the studs so there is no need for a double top plate. Also you can get 50% more insulation in the walls.

The proponents say that AF is a no brainer, detractors take the "it ain't broke so why fix it?" stand. I'm inclined to go the AF route, not least because it involves fewer pieces to manhandle, even if they are bigger and heavier.

This is a workshop rather than a dwelling, I want it cosy to work in but not boiling. So I think I'm going to have 100mm insulation in the walls. That will leave me an air gap and I can have recessed electric sockets without having to cut away the insulation. If I need to install another socket somewhere, I can cut a hole and get my hand in to fish the cable out, too.

I know it is heat insulation rather than sound insulation, but it is bound to help and it's not as if it is built on a party wall with the neighbours living room. It could hardly be further away from the houses.

While the slab cures I have to draw up some construction drawings so I can get a cutting list. So far I have only a concept drawing. Anyone here an expert on roof trusses? I could do with some input.

My body is starting to complain again. I've hurt my wrists when I fell, as well as scabbing my knee :(

Exciting Steve. Doubtless you have that well earned tiredness (if a little bruised) feeling. And heart warming that such a response to helping out came your way. I wonder what your first project once its built will be?

First project will probably be the double doors. I don't really want to have to buy them, do I? I shall board up the larger opening until they are done. Not sure what to do about the personnel door. I'd like to make that too, but I can't board up both doorways, can I? I could make it at the Community Workshop where I volunteer, but my time is usually taken up doing other stuff there and it would take up quite a lot of space. I might just make a temporary one out of 2x4s and OSB.

One last thought on the doors. You probably wouldn't do this due to expense and loss of ceiling space but its worth mentioning. My workshop is in my garage. I have electrically operated doors that come up to the ceiling. I have a clicker that operates them and for convenience its just the best. When I'm making a lot of dust or want lots of light, I pop them up (without even having to leave the lathe). When I want privacy or the weather turns, down they go. Just a thought, its a luxury I now wouldn't do without but appreciate its not to everyones taste.

One thing I'd like to say.
You may or may not know (I've made no secret of it) that I've been ill for the last couple of years, largely due to losing my home and workshop. Only a couple of months ago I was still sleeping badly and at odd times. Usually I did nothing of significance until the afternoon and not always then. Some days I've done nothing at all and anything I have done has seemed like a mountain to climb.
But although this project is knackering my body, it is doing wonders for my mental health. I feel alive again. I've not felt this good upstairs since the domestic balloon went up. Yesterday I was in Morrison's by 8.30 and back home by 9.10 with the shopping. I couldn't believe that I was feeling that good that early in the day.
I'm posting this because many people offered me support and encouragement along the way and if this helps anyone else then that is a bonus.

I did know Steve, having read some of your posts on the subject. I sympathise having had a bout of fairly hefty depression myself some years ago. I also found that a concrete (no pun intended) goal that takes you out of yourself is very therapeutic. Travel I've found also helps.

My theory is that it relates to having "new thoughts". When either your routine or your environment changes it quite literally remakes your brain chemistry in terms of ritual and persistent thoughts. It focuses on new things and that's always helped sort of lift me out of the rut as it were. No idea what the medical profession would make of that, just my experience. I think you're very open and honest about your situation and I've also been pleasantly surprised by the warm and sympathetic and encouraging responses people have given on this forum. Some nice folks out there and no mistake...I suspect you're one of them Steve :)

One thing I forgot. We had a bit of a crisis moment not long into the pour. The shuttering along the RH side started to push out and we had a significant bow. We had to stop what we were doing and force it back into line. It wasn't easy. We cut sprags to wedge against the concrete fence posts and got it back into something resembling line. I'll know how successful we have been when all the shuttering comes off, but I bet it's messed up our nice lines. Originally it was as if it had been built by the Ancient Egyptians. If we'd not spotted it it would have looked like it had been built built by (insert your preferred butt of jokes here). There were one or two other places where we'd plugged holes in the shuttering and those plugs were pushed out by the pressure of the concrete, too. There was a bit of First Aid along the way.
S

Nice to see the progress Steve, on all fronts, and wonderful of people to pitch in.

Just a quick note on those powerline adaptors mentioned a few pages ago. They seem like magic, but they also screw up long wave signals for kilometres around, and amateur radio groups are trying to get them banned.

I have seen cases of scanners and equipment being rendered useless by these, and I know we wouldn't want our hobby to ruin someone else's hobby.

Look forward to more updates,

Dave

Steve and Bob; you are both SO right about activity or a new 'got to do this' for chasing Depression. May I suggest the tee-shirt adage "Just DO it!" is succinctly apt and the key to well being?

Sam

I have been reading this post with interest Steve , and the best part for me is the next to last post by you. I am so happy to hear you say you are feeling good again because of the build. I've read many of your other posts and have been pulling for you to get a smile and chuckle whenever you can. It's good to hear it's working out for you and your getting a shop again.

I can only reiterate other peoples comments and say "well done Steve and your helpers"!

Rod

Back