Steve's workshop - Painting the outside walls

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bluekingfisher":2xpn8h7x said:
Those nailers are more trouble than they are worth. A 28oz framing hammer will be cheaper and quicker on a single job.

Have a look at the "Very efficient carpenter, building walls" DVD. The Guy ( a 76 year old ) sank 4" nails in two smacks, he was building the frame quicker than the guy behind him with the air framer and he wasn't even breaking sweat.

No time wasted looking for fuel cells or begging tools from mates.

He even had a bandana similar to yours.

David

Crikey! DF you have got the hand tool bug mate, what happened to the good old pneumatic framing nailer? Framing hammer indeed, you'll be buying hand planes and building a tool cabinet next!!!

A site chippy that worked for my father was very quick at hammering home nails, but he had arms like Popeye and could bend 6" nails in his hands. I stuck to using my Paslode rather than making a fool of myself with a guy 30 years my senior.
Good luck tomorrow Steve sorry can't help running a French polishing course in the morning.
Cheers Peter

Richard S":gmqeboz5 said:
Bluekingfisher":gmqeboz5 said:
Those nailers are more trouble than they are worth. A 28oz framing hammer will be cheaper and quicker on a single job.

Have a look at the "Very efficient carpenter, building walls" DVD. The Guy ( a 76 year old ) sank 4" nails in two smacks, he was building the frame quicker than the guy behind him with the air framer and he wasn't even breaking sweat.

No time wasted looking for fuel cells or begging tools from mates.

He even had a bandana similar to yours.

David

Crikey! DF you have got the hand tool bug mate, what happened to the good old pneumatic framing nailer? Framing hammer indeed, you'll be buying hand planes and building a tool cabinet next!!!

I have all the air nailers as you know mate but by the time he dragged all that kit out, read the instructions, nipped round to your mates to verify its function the job would have been done long since. Not as if he is firing 10,000 nails

Perhaps you could lend Steve the Framing book and DVD I lent you :D

Whoo-hoo! Look at this, guys!

10am the team gathered and we considered our plan:
P1020657.JPG

We'd already moved the front wall out of the way. It was not as difficult as we'd anticipated, we just lifted it up and carried it away. Heavy but not hernia-inducingly so.

So then we tipped the back wall up and secured it with props and got it roughly in line.
P1020658.JPG

Then we carried the west wall over and propped that up in the same way. I have very accommodating neighbours.

P1020660.JPG

The walls were a bit wibbly-wobbly until we got some bracing on, so we decided it might be easier to brace the wall before lifting it up. I used a fine adjuster to get the diagonals the same.
P1020664.JPG

And repeat
P1020665.JPG

P1020666.JPG

Finally the front wall
P1020667.JPG

It took us just one hour to get this far.

The building is held down with anchor bolts. I drill through the woodwork...
P1020668.JPG

...while Pete came round afterwards and leant on his SDS
P1020672.JPG

Attachments

• P1020658.JPG
    P1020658.JPG
    136.2 KB · Views: 1,092
  • P1020660.JPG
    P1020660.JPG
    147.7 KB · Views: 1,092
  • P1020664.JPG
    P1020664.JPG
    181.2 KB · Views: 1,092
  • P1020665.JPG
    P1020665.JPG
    142.7 KB · Views: 1,092
  • P1020666.JPG
    P1020666.JPG
    140.5 KB · Views: 1,092
  • P1020667.JPG
    P1020667.JPG
    160.5 KB · Views: 1,093
  • P1020657.JPG
    P1020657.JPG
    159 KB · Views: 1,092
  • P1020668.JPG
    P1020668.JPG
    159.4 KB · Views: 1,092
  • P1020672.JPG
    P1020672.JPG
    138 KB · Views: 1,092
In addition to my previous comment of it looking massive, all I can say now is it looks bloody high as well. Hope you don't get vertigo when it comes to doing the roof. I think it might be bigger than the flat I used to live in!

Great progress Steve

Mark

So with two walls bolted down:
P1020681.JPG

we could concentrate on getting one corner right. Well Mrs Paslode was having a strop, just two nails fired and then nothing so I got to the builders' merchants 2 minutes before they closed and bought a bag of nails.

P1020677.JPG

The top corners are tied together with spiky plates
P1020679.JPG

Do you recognise the blue roofing in the background?

And so, by 2pm we had done. Up, fixed, all the rest of the timber restacked (I'd annexed the neighbours' garden for the night) and bacon sarnied, we were feeling pretty pleased with ourselves. I keep going out and having a look and giggling like a girl.

So Ray says, "Right, I'm off, I've got a hedge to cut." He just never stops.

There will now be a bit of a hiatus. The trusses are on a 3-week lead time, but that means I have plenty of time to make the headers, do the blocking and dig a service channel back to the house. And my car needs an MOT. And the house hasn't been cleaned for yonks. And I have to collect more insulation. And I've got tingly fingers so I'm going to have to see the quack. And...

A massive Thank You to Ray, Steve, Martin, Pete and Sam. I hope you enjoyed it as much as I did. I'll let you know when the trusses are due...

P1020680.JPG

Attachments

• P1020681.JPG
    P1020681.JPG
    145.8 KB · Views: 1,084
  • P1020677.JPG
    P1020677.JPG
    100.5 KB · Views: 1,083
  • P1020679.JPG
    P1020679.JPG
    143.5 KB · Views: 1,084
  • P1020680.JPG
    P1020680.JPG
    149.3 KB · Views: 1,083
The Bear":3u7xb3ul said:
In addition to my previous comment of it looking massive, all I can say now is it looks bloody high as well. Hope you don't get vertigo when it comes to doing the roof.

Yes, good, isn't it? :)

I have PP for 3m to the eaves and 4.5m overall. I think I'll have half an inch to spare on height and a couple of inches spare on length. I've not finalised the wall covering yet, which will affect the size slightly. The ground has a bit of a slope, so it does rather depend on where you measure from, but the front is pretty much level with the garden so I'm choosing that as my datum. With a raised-tie roof I reckon I should have close to 11 feet in the centre stretch. I want to make more films so I want my lighting to be as high as possible.

It can't have done any harm by having an existing building that was almost as big and just as high to the eaves. I'm just replacing it, adding a modestly-pitched roof and making the neighbourhood a rather prettier place into the bargain.
Win-win.

The one I bought last week is still in date. Just. September this year. It's not fired a single nail and feels empty, but they are so small anyway it's difficult to know how heavy they should feel.
But I have 3 fuel cells with the machine that I have been using.
I have another friend I help at the Community Workshop. "I've got one you could have borrowed", says he. So I'll try his and see if it behaves any better.

its looking grand Steve ! Difficult to gauge the size from the pics ...how big is it ?

Don't want to send you any negative vibes but I have to ask ... does it have Planning permission ? I have been checking permitted development for outbuildings for my shed rebuilding and as far as I can make out if an outbuilding is within 2 metres of a boundary then no part of it can exceed 2.5 mt height. ?
This is an excerpt from the section of Planning I have been designing my shed by .

'Outbuildings are considered to be permitted development, not needing planning permission, subject to the following limits and conditions:

Outbuildings and garages to be single storey with maximum eaves height of 2.5 metres and maximum overall height of four metres with a dual pitched roof or three metres for any other roof.
Maximum height of 2.5 metres in the case of a building, enclosure or container within two metres of a boundary of the curtilage of the dwellinghouse.
No more than half the area of land around the "original house"* would be covered by additions or other buildings.'

RogerP":281xx6ob said:
johnny
Did you not see Steve's post 4 back from yours?

no obviously not :wink: I started my post before Steves post and cooked dinner in between times :roll: I should have checked what had been posted in the intervening time . Apologies
Steve. very glad to hear it. Our neighbour's builders ignored the height restriction and she nearly had to remove a £8000 wendy house when her neighbours objected :roll:

Looking fantastic Steve. Paslodes are susceptible to damp. It affects the circuitry. I've had a similar problem with mine. I had what appeared to be in date gas. I changed to brand new gas and it worked perfectly.

Aaaggghhhh! I'm pulling my hair out.
Will someone PLEEEAAASE explain to me why plywood and OSB are 8' x 4' but plasterboard is 2.4m x 1.2m? They are not the same.
I've built my walls on 2' centres, the American way (well the Advanced Framing way, I'll grant you a lot is still done on 16" centers (sic)), which means that my outside sheathing fits well, horizontally from stud 1 to stud 5. But if I use plasterboard for the inside then I am going to be 40mm shy of the centre of a stud and will either have to add some support or waste nearly 2' of board. It's bonkers. If I'd built on 600mm centres then I would have had to trim every single board of OSB. It's just crazy.
So I think I'm going to board with OSB both outside and inside, then board again with plasterboard. It will give a better job, I accept, but it shouldn't be so flippin' difficult.
Frustrated Steve
PS 3 more bags of insulation today. It might be free but it's messing up the inside of my car.

Steve why do you want platerboard? Would have thought OSB on its own would be much better than just plasterboard, meaning you can put a fixing/nail/screw anywhere you want to on the inside. What am I missing?

Mark

Well, nothing from that point of view. But plasterboard is much better as a fire retardant and will give a smoother wall finish. OK I don't NEED that, but my last workshop had just painted breeze block and it was a pain from a dust point of view. I want smoooooooth.
S

I believe so. I don't want my neighbours to be disturbed by me and I don't want to hear them. One of them shouts all the time. ALL the time. She has been very helpful but she has a loud voice and doesn't know how to keep it down. Her children will probably have hearing problems when they grow up. It drives me nuts (as the Scotsman said...)
S

Back