Steel hoops

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

disco_monkey79

Established Member
Reaction score
Slightly random, but... I want to build my own apple press. I would like 2 steel hoops, about 300-350mm in diameter, with the thickness approx 5-10mm by 40mm-ish (the exact sizes aren't important, but somewhere in that ballpark).

Anyone have any idea I could get some, without having them made bespoke? A long shot, but I thought I'd ask. And the rest of the build would be in wood, btw!

Thanks

Maybe small barrel hoops from an old barrel, or I was thinking you could get an old oil drum (cheap as chips on ebay) of approximately the same size you want and then cut off as many bands as you want. Even if they are not quite thick enough or slightly too big you could adjust them or layer a couple together.
A bit `Heath Robinson` but maybe it would work.
Otherwise you`ll need a blacksmith.

Ollie

Thanks for the reply. Ironically, I have a friend who's a blacksmith, but he's so ridiculously busy, I feel bad asking!

I like your thinking, though. I may take a trip to the dump and see if they have anything I could appropriate.

I would see if I could get hold of a tube or tubular shaped object maybe a large old saucepan and cut rings out of that. I think your requirement for hoops 5-10mm thick is overkill, anything up to 3mm should be fine. That is assuming that you are using a screw thread to exert pressure on the apple pulp and not some kind of hydraulic piston. Personally I would use hoops cut from 25 lt metal oil containers that the catering industry use eg takaways.
Traditionally the apple pulp was laid onto a large square of sacking (Hessian) The edges are folded over to contain the pulp and another cloth laid on top with more pulp in, and so on. A pressing board was laid on this an pressure applied.

adidat":1ap9v2c3 said:
you could always ask richard t the forum's resident black smith. everybody was very keen on his holdfasts he made.

adidat

Great hold-fasts they are. :D

Do the rings have to be metal? Couldn't you fabricate some out of steamed laminated ash?

Do you need rings at all, except for appearance? With a good adhesive, Kreg screws would hold the joints together. You'd have to drill the pocket-holes on the outside I suppose to save the juice getting on the screws! But once it's together you could anneal some 3mm mild steel and bend it around, drilling and securing as you go. Or maybe that's a wild idea of mine?
HTH

John :)

John :)

Thanks for the mention Adidat and John :) - ironically I wouldn't recommend a basket press for apple at all. If the apples are scratted well they tend to lock up under pressure. Hence, as Sean says, the traditional cider press is a stack of flat boards with the pulp wrapped in cheeses in between; surrounded by a strong frame with a means of pressure above.

This is my small press in action:

Scratter20084.jpg

Of course it doesn't have to be brick with a gargoyle spout, an all wood frame would be preferable. I just didn't have the timber at the time.

Richard T":1o3yln5y said:
Thanks for the mention Adidat and John :) - ironically I wouldn't recommend a basket press for apple at all. If the apples are scratted well they tend to lock up under pressure. Hence, as Sean says, the traditional cider press is a stack of flat boards with the pulp wrapped in cheeses in between; surrounded by a strong frame with a means of pressure above.

This is my small press in action:

Scratter20084.jpg

Of course it doesn't have to be brick with a gargoyle spout, an all wood frame would be preferable. I just didn't have the timber at the time.

Richard,

I tried that with hops... It didn't work for some reason, so I resorted to traditional brewing! :lol:

John :wink:

Thanks all for the replies, lots to think about. An old saucepan is genius!

Loving that brick-built press! I think my OH would have a fit if I built something like that in the garden!

disco_monkey79":2406cryw said:
Slightly random, but... I want to build my own apple press. I would like 2 steel hoops, about 300-350mm in diameter, with the thickness approx 5-10mm by 40mm-ish (the exact sizes aren't important, but somewhere in that ballpark).

Anyone have any idea I could get some, without having them made bespoke? A long shot, but I thought I'd ask. And the rest of the build would be in wood, btw!

Thanks

Well, bending the hoops should be fairly easy, and cutting them is fairly easy, it's just the joining that a bit more interesting. Since they'll be gaps in the wooden "barrel", couldn't you simply drill the metal strips, and use nut 'n' bolts, spaced to fit in the gaps? I'd use multiple small holes (and fixings), to minimise weakening of the strip.

Tool use - hacksaw, drill, spanner.

Complete design found here:

http://www.van-vliet.org/dempseywoodwor ... ress.shtml

Hoop joining is by a simple "extra" overlapping patch, fixed with through screws into both ends of the strip.

BugBear

I've done this and am about to make another basket and a new press which I have been photographing for a wip - but i'm a bit slow...

what I did for the bands was to get some 2mm by 25mm mild steel from B&Q - they have those little bins things of metal shapes and extrusions and things - wasn't too expensive

drilled holes for the screws first and then bend round an appropriate shape and then adjusted in a metalwork vice until they were 'round enough'

to join I did as per that excellent link with a joining piece but I only joined/overlapped one hole each side - the fixing was an M4 bolt that went right through both bits of metal and then the 'stave' as well. I say it 'was' an M4 as they kept breaking under the pressure of the 1.5 tonne jack I was using so I upped them to M5 which seem to hold - if not I have some M6 ready!!

no real metal working skills required at all - like you I was going to get them welded but blacksmiths all seem to be incredibly busy all the time. Painted them with black enamel paint to stop them rusting which is working so far - one season.

if you want to know all there is to know about cider do a search for 'andrew lea' or 'wittenham hill' and you will be in the presence of a cider god

http://www.cider.org.uk/frameset.htm

maybe that link will work - good luck with the cider

Pete

Back