Steady on old boy

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bogmonster

Established Member
Reaction score
Mrs BM went to town today which left me some time to play. Down to the car boot sale first thing to get some supplies. This is what I ended up with. Largely finished, just need to different bolts, tidy up the welds (stick welding 2mm wall box to 6mm thick angle ain't easy, need to get myself a mig), paint etc:

15022494425_94e2138678_c.jpg

15022483075_16848e3edc_c.jpg

Not tried it yet but I think it will work - and I know, not very original. The frame is overkill but it was what I had to hand. Should be able to get 14" in there.

I also plan to make a much simpler 3 wheel steady with the other wheels for smaller stuff. No welding involved in the smaller one.

Next up will be to bodge up my captive hollower from the old lathe. It is a bit weedy but I can use it to get going.

Also did a bit more on the DIY toolposts - should be able to finish them off when I get a spare 30 mins.

BM

It is a 'steady'. The purpose is to support a turning that extends a long way from the headstock, has a small foot, is very thin and subject to flex etc. The wheels are adjusted to touch the sides of the item and provide lateral support. This one is intended mainly for hollow forms or maybe large thin walled bowls although I have not found a steady necessary for these. You also get steadies intended for long thin spindles e.g. walking canes, snooker cues etc where you support the middle to stop whipping. For such projects a more compact steady is better.

Hope that makes some sense. Also hope that you didn't know what a steady is and was not just being rude about my contraption.

BM

Makes sense now BM :) of course I wast being rude about your contraption im a great believer of no matter how ugly or beat up something is aslong as it still does it job properly use it ;-) thats how I got a coronet minor so I have to beleive it ;-)

huntercold":2gyzcd80 said:
Makes sense now BM :) of course I wast being rude about your contraption im a great believer of no matter how ugly or beat up something is aslong as it still does it job properly use it ;-) thats how I got a coronet minor so I have to beleive it ;-)

'Beat up'? She is still a virgin. An ugly one for sure though. Maybe if I slap some lippie on her....

bogmonster":2m6sk9zr said:
Grahamshed":2m6sk9zr said:
I have just made myself a wooden version.

Looks the business and you have actually used yours.

BM

I was turning a 12 inch goblet in elm but it was vibrating so much I was unable to hollow the bowl properly ( even with a forester bit )
Using this it was no problem. I am really pleased with the way it works BUT..... I used a set of wheels from some 2 inch Axminster casters I had laying about. I assumed they would have bearing but they didn't and they get VERY hot. I have ordered some inline skate wheels and hope these will last tip they get here, hopefully tomorrow.

I was turning a 12 inch goblet in elm but it was vibrating so much I was unable to hollow the bowl properly ( even with a forester bit )
Using this it was no problem. I am really pleased with the way it works BUT..... I used a set of wheels from some 2 inch Axminster casters I had laying about. I assumed they would have bearing but they didn't and they get VERY hot. I have ordered some inline skate wheels and hope these will last tip they get here, hopefully tomorrow.[/quote]

I had that problem when I was doing this months challenge Had to go smaller :(

I am not going to have anything ready in time for this month again. Tied up with other stuff at the moment.

Nice one guys I also ended up bodging one together so that I could complete this months challenge, wasn't up to the standard of these but it worked. Graham, yours could also double as a toilet seat in an emergency

Back