Startrite SD31

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slate1234

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all just woundering if anyone has the above and could tell me how easy the blades are to change I'm about to buy one [monday morning] new but can't seem to find a lot of info
Many Thanks.

All planar blades are to some extent fiddly to be honest (with the possible exception of the newer spiral cutter blocks). But the SD300/31 are on the easier side to change because they're not sprung from underneath like some. They're fixed into the slot in the block by a separate wedge piece so the trick to getting their height right is to butt them up to a jig set at the right height and then get them finger tight while you fine adjust them. By being finger tight, they're prevented from falling back into the slot. The tricky part is when you tighten the nuts, they have a tendency to ride up and go out of height or the height is uneven across the blade from one side to the other as there are 4 nuts to tighten. I check my finished height with a special dial gauge made by Oneway which references off the outfeed table. I used to use the "move a piece of wood" method to check but the micrometer is far more accurate.

I've used machines where the blades are sprung from beneath and I find that style more difficult to get an accurate setup with. Once you're used to it you can certainly do a full setup in about 10 minutes or less. First time though I would expect it to take a lot longer as you familiarise yourself with the technique. That Oneway dial gauge is a Godsend I have to say. I@ll see if I can find a link to it, I bought mine from Toolpost several years ago.

Here's that Oneway tool...it's called a Multi Gauge. It's bloody useful for squaring fences too like during a bandsaw setup.

Oneway Multi Gauge.PNG

Attachments

• Oneway Multi Gauge.PNG
    Oneway Multi Gauge.PNG
    157.3 KB · Views: 159
I bought something very similar for checking & adjusting the planer blades on my Hammer A3 31. Mine has a magnetic base which holds a treat on the cast iron outfeed table.

As Bob said, it does make adjusting & setting the height more accurate...!!

Thank you for the quick reply's every time I go to press the buy button, I'm holding on until I know it's the right one for me.

Back