Startrite SD31 Planer Thicknesser

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cameronhill97

Established Member
Reaction score
just wondering if anyone has had any use with one of these machines. Was going to buy the Jet JPT310 equivalent but cant seem to find it anywhere anymore so thought this looked a decent deal at around £1650.

Parallel lift tables which to me puts it ahead of the axminster planer thicknesser however i just wonder weather the fence will be sturdy enough

any thoughts welcome

thanks

I have the model before the SD31 which is called the SD300 and is identical except mine has a cast iron fence whereas the SD31 has an aluminium extrusion and a dial gauge on the thicknesser. Other than that the hardware/motor etc is identical.

It's a workhorse that will outlive me that's for sure, bullet proof.

As Bob says, a solid well built machine. Ours has the ali fence but it's rock solid, no issues there at all.

Incidentally, the reason I bought the Startrite was 4 things that really niggled me about cheaper machines which were:

- changeover to thicknessing had to be simple and quick
- the beds had to be long enough to deal with lengthy boards
- 3 cutter block for quality of cut
- Decent width of tables for wider boards (1 foot was the largest available at this kind of price)

As above very solid I have one with the ali fence I find it does all I throw at it, and to be fair everything was square when it arrived which I was a little shocked at after reading how much setting up some people have with a new machine.
Paul

Latest posts

Back