Startrite 352 Bandsaw Switch

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Harbo

In Memorium
Reaction score
My old Startrite has died on me in that it will no longer switch on.

I maybe missing something here, but the switch gear is mounted in the LHS column and I cannot see how you can get to it?
Any help much appreciated.

Rod

A couple of bolts need to be removed, they are hidden inside the doors, mine just needed the sawdust blowing out.

Pete

Pete's recommendation to blow it out is the way to go first.

Second step if it still will not work is to try to identify the switch by maker and model number --- usually on there somewhere. Then to search for it with Google. This might lead you down a few steps of tracing the switch number from one table to another but can usually be found.

I had to trace mine down ( I have a 352 also ) and after 3 steps of tracing I found a modern identical switch from a manufacturer in Denmark. Its still going strong after 6 years.

If that does not work then get some advice but see if you can fit an NVR switch externally covering the hole from the old one. You might even need to provide a plate to cover the hole. I've done that on a old Wadkin bandsaw once.

Al

Thanks Al and Pete - I managed to download a manual and I think I've spotted the two holding bolts?

Rod

Mine was a Danfoss also but I know Startrite used several other switches during the life of the old 352 model so waqs trying to be a bit careful. I guess Danfoss should be your first port of call.

Al

It's a Danfoss TI 16
Is there anyway of checking it out. Not easy to understand wiring as all cables are black?
I searched the net for one but there's lots of different looking ones all under the TI16 banner.

Rod

Bob has a document somewhere which shows the wiring for a combined DOL & thermal overload switch. When I contacted Alt Spares they wanted £70 for a new switch. I removed the switch from the saw and tested it with a hairdryer (could have been any 240v electrical item) and with Bob's help I managed to identify the problem as a faulty coil in the switch. The good thing about Danfoss is that spares are available and a replacement coil for around £13 got me back up and running. I was keen to keep my existing switch mechanism rather than fitting a new one which I wouldn't have been able to place inside the column.

Cheers
Andy

just as an aside, Mine wouldn't start a few weeks ago and it was the safety lever gunged up. Just freed it, blew out all the dust and no more problems.

Bob

Back