Startrite 301

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ByronBlack

Established Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone with one of these machines would be kind enough to answer a few queries that I have.

Basically, i'm after the specs for the machine; motor size, guide type, size, weight, throat depth and re-saw capacity.

Also, this might not be practical, but i'm looking for the dimensions of the saw as it would be standing in a workshop.

Failing anyone owning one of these, does anyone know of a good online source of this information? I've been searching around google for a while without really getting any detail.

Thanks in advance.

Hi Byron

Why not search on this forum for "startrite 301"? I got eight or none hits and you can pm the people who have them.

Cheers
Neil

Neil, I did just that. But most of the posts didnt include much detail, or the members had other models, these posts were also quite old, hence I felt i should post a new message, if this is wrong, then please by all means lock/delete the thread, I don't wish to add any clutter.

BB, just didi a quick google to find they use the same size blades (88") and has the same throat depth as my BAS315, so I would expect it to have a similar footprint of approx 700 X 550mm.
One for sale here with picture - it looks very similar (although probably light years ahead on build quality).
They're only round the corner from me so if that 25mm is crucial you could ring them up and get them to measure it, or pop over and do it yourself, (or even just ask nicely :wink: ).
They seem to change hands for rather a lot of money, more than a new 14" Jet (if you shop around), but knowing your luck you'll probably pick one up for about £20 and a cheese sarnie. :wink:

Mark

They are fundamentally very similar to the s51/352. And the side guides were originally solid meehanite, a form of cast iron and a steel rod with a carbide "button" at the end (rear thrust guides)

Scrit

cheese sarnie - thats a bit too rich for me, it'll be spam or nothing :)

Cheers for the details, much appreciated! I have my eye on one *keeping my sources close to my chest* for a lot less than the one in your link.

I just need to establish if I can actually move it and get it in the back of the van.

(thanks scrit. In your opinion, are they decent machines, or would I be better of with a modern Jet?)

we have one in work will get tape on it in the morning guides are metal blocks capacity is great will cut 12" depth,not sure of the throat will message 2moz if i forget wake me up (baby girl waring us out :) )

Byron

Unless you're really strapped for space a 352 or 351 probably won't cost any more, have a greater resaw capacity and are much more common. I've lugged a 352 round in the back of a 2-litre estate after taking the 2-part table apart

Scrit

ByronBlack":1xd6gmna said:
Cheers for the details, much appreciated! I have my eye on one *keeping my sources close to my chest* for a lot less than the one in your link.

Based on your previous stamping grounds, this one wouldn't happen to have a light switch held together with gaffer tape as its starter? :wink:

Hi Paul,

I take it you've seen the one the bay then :)

This isn't the one I had in mind, but was what started me of on my initial search, I've found one local thats not that much more than that one.

It's a conundrum because the startrite has the pedigree and capacity, whereas i've had the Jet before and was impressed, choices choices.

Thanks all for the information, much appreciated.

Latest posts

Back