Startrite 301 Bandsaw Motor advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jw00d

Established Member
Reaction score
I've been through quite a few old threads on Startrite motors but none quite match my problem.

My original 301 motor has been making creaking noises, so thinking it may be the bearing in the motor took the bottom wheel/hub off to have a look. Ended up having to unbolt the motor as the front plate wouldn't come off to discover the motor is sealed, no way to get in to check the bearing.

Anyway in the process of disassembling removed two small 25mm screws from the holes indicated in the pic below. When came to put it back together they don't seem to have anything to screw into, the motor doesn't rattle as if any bolts are loose in there. Stood back and turned it on and it seems to run ok. Managed to get some spray lubricant in the gap between the case and the shaft which seems to have improved the bearing noise.

Does anyone know what the screws were holding and if it's safe to carry on using without them? I've had a look and the company that made the motor doesn't seem to exist anymore. Otherwise looks like an opportunity to find a slightly more powerful replacement as some others here have done.

Thanks.

Screwholes in question:
47867f91-b89f-40c7-82c6-3f09ebb006ea_zps6roptpe9.jpg

Motor plate:
4d05033b-889c-4f55-9f1a-fa4ade31b0ae_zpsjlsyg6xd.jpg

Those screws may have been securing a bearing inner clamping plate, which has now moved away from the endplate, PM or e-mail Myfordman to see if he knows the assembly details of that 6 pole low speed motor.

Chas is absolutely correct. You will have to remove the front face of the motor and re install the bearing retainer. It might not give you trouble now but the bearing could slowly walk out of the front plate along the shaft and then you will be in trouble.

Mark the radial position of the front face with respect to the body by a single scratched line into the paint so you can get it back together correctly.

Back