Starting Out

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grumpy6165

Reaction score
I work in a school where I have access to a wide range of hand, power tools and machinery. I am looking to improve my woodworking skills.

I have purchased "The Practical Woodwoorker" by Stephen Corbett which is very useful; and in addition subscribed to "Woodworking for Mere Mortals" on Youtube which provides a laid back way of wordworking.

I understand making simple toys and boxes is a way to proceed for developing techniques.

However is there a webstie, course or Youtube clips that would provide a more visual training program that anybody could recommend.

Hi

I'd recommend reading more good books, forgetting You Tube and trying to find some local craftsmen to discuss progression / techniques with.

I'm firmly of the opinion You Tube does more damage than good.

Regards Mick

I started out by subscribing to some of the woodworking magazines and watching every episode of The New Yankee Workshop. This was a good way of understanding the subject and various methods of doing things. This did take several years as i think there are 11 seasons (years) worth of NYW.
i now watch them again or read magazines and think "why are they doing it that way". Its a good way to start as a hobbiest.

rspsteve":3a3xow8y said:

Hi

Because the unregulated nature of You Tube and other similar formats allows anyone to promote their take on whatever. Anyone new to a discipline will not necessarily have the knowledge to discern between good and bad information.

Regards Mick

Spindle":3cuywyzm said:
rspsteve":3cuywyzm said:

Hi

Because the unregulated nature of You Tube and other similar formats allows anyone to promote their take on whatever. Anyone new to a discipline will not necessarily have the knowledge to discern between good and bad information.

Regards Mick

I agree.
Even though there are several knowledgeable "posters" in You Tube (I won't name any so I don't forget any...), it takes a minimum of know-how to distinguish good from bad. And by the time you know enough, the truly interesting information you get from You Tube (there is such a thing, yes... ) will be only marginal.

Of course, it doesn't hurt to have a little fun with Steve Ramsey, if you like the kind...

Common sense is certainly needed but I am a complete Newbie just starting from the very beginning nad have found a lot of great info there ...I am setting up my "shop" and am starting by making workshop style projects .

I must admit I am more into the machine type of woodworking but the more hand tool stuff I watch I will try that in the future.

Steve

Hi Steve

Rather than rely on You Tube type information I feel you would be better served by using forums such as this where, at least you can form opinions based on two way conversation with experienced persons who will engage with you.

Regards Mick

Spindle":e22v28mt said:
Hi Steve

Rather than rely on You Tube type information I feel you would be better served by using forums such as this where, at least you can form opinions based on two way conversation with experienced persons who will engage with you.

Regards Mick

That why I am here Mick..great info and nice people win win ...just for me to see it being done on a video makes more sense .

Steve

Perhaps pick a project or 2 (something of use and interest to you), and investigate the possible techniques that could/should go in to making whatever it is.

I found trying things first-hand quickly highlighted where I needed improving, and thus what needed further study. And making stuff is fun.

Good luck with the new hobby.

rspsteve":gxn1s19d said:
Spindle":gxn1s19d said:
I'm firmly of the opinion You Tube does more damage than good.

Regards Mick

why?

Because so many of the presentations are done by amateurs with sketchy ideas of the craft. (Not just woodwork)
A lot of them are also nothing more than glorified adverts for gear you might want, but not necessarily need.
That's not to say they aren't entertaining, and interesting, because the woodwork vids can be both of those things. The one good thing about them is that they do open your mind to various ways of doing various tasks.
So if you do use the 'tube', be selective in what you watch.

Have you seen the one where a American uses a lathe and circular to shape wood!

Pete

Latest posts

Back