Starting a Woodwork club - South Wales

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jadboog

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Further to Stevec's post from two years ago (help-clubs-groups-societies-in-cardiff-t26472.html), I'm making a call to see if I can drum up some interest in starting a woodworker's club for Cardiff / South Wales.

As a new woodworker, completely unable to find any relevant woodworking courses in Cardiff (or Pontypridd, where I live), and I'm struggling to find any clubs for general woodworking in my area. On reading Stevec's post above, I'm prepared to put up, not shut up, and start a club.

I imagine a club could meet regularly, to share ideas, skills, show of projects and provide advice to newbies like me. I'm a general interest woodworker myself and would welcome general woodworking, scrollsawing, carving, turning and anything of woody interest!

BUT, I need help!

To start a club I'd need some interested members, and would ask anyone in this forum:

1. If you are in South Wales are you interested in joining / helping me to form a club?
2. Does anyone in the forum have any ideas / advice about starting a club? (could we have guest speakers / lessons / what are the logistics / any problems / issues etc.).
3. Can anyone recommend venues where the club could meet? (I'm thinking colleges / schools with woodshops etc.)

Please post in this thread or PM if interested.

Merry Christmas!

Thanks Alf!

Have registered the same message on The Wood Haven forum, but sad to see that there are no members in South Wales :cry:

My details haven't yet come up on the map, but hope more will follow.

I'll also PM cooptx

James

I think it's a great idea if you can get a club off the ground.

I Googled woodwork club without putting in a location and came across this website for the Southern Fellowship of Woodworkers. Might give you some ideas if you decide to start a club.

I would welcome such a club near me in North Wales but I won't hijack this thread, just keep an interested eye on it to see how you get on.

Best of luck in your endeavours,

regards

Brian

Hey thanks Brian,

By all means use the thread as you need!

Thanks for the link

This sort of thing is a great idea but sadly lacking in the UK...plenty of spinny clubs, but none for general woodwork as such. I believe the situation is different in certain parts of the US of A though, good luck with the venture - Rob

There can't be many of us in Wales!
I'm in Aberystwyth, so Cardiff's too far for me but good luck.
Unfortunately in some respects, Wales is a woodworker's desert.

Hi James,

I know this thread is over four years old now but just wondering if a woodworking club ever got off the ground. I also live in Pontypridd so would be interested to hear if there is a club near by.

Hi
this is my first post
I have read the forums for quite some time now and on reading this post I thought I would say hello
I live in Bridgend not too far away from Cardiff (also there is another forum member Morfa from this area, I don't know him) I would def be up for maybe meeting up and trying to get something going

flat n smooth":2r1608ml said:
Hi
this is my first post
I have read the forums for quite some time now and on reading this post I thought I would say hello
I live in Bridgend not too far away from Cardiff (also there is another forum member Morfa from this area, I don't know him) I would def be up for maybe meeting up and trying to get something going

Hi All,

I came across this thread today as I have recently developed an interest in wood working. I thought this thread was dead over 4 years ago but I see a couple of people have recently shown some interest.
I am mainly interested in Instrument Building (Guitars) as I have been playing guitar for about 14 years now. I have recently found an expert luthier who is building my own custom designed electric guitar (but he is based in Cornwall). Obviously I know a lot about playing the instrument but I know nothing about how it is built. So after months and months of research, I have come to know that this work is super duper intricate and requires a lot of experience and skill (well I knew that before as well but now I understand the true value of craftsmanship and how long it takes to do a "fine" job).

By profession I am a Microchip design engineer and I work in Newport, South Wales. I am looking for an experienced wood craftsman or a luthier who is up for giving some wood crafting lessons to me. Since I am quite busy most of the time I was hoping to get 1 class a week for a couple of hours. I am planning to build a home workshop, but that is far from becoming a reality at the moment but it is my future endeavour. I was hoping to learn the basics and practice (maybe assist someone with their projects etc) so that when I finally build my own workshop I can build by own guitar! That would just be awesome! (hammer)

Anyway, please reply to this message if you are interested and we can work out how to get started. Thank you for your time. :)

Best Regards,
Ali

I am not sure if this project ever got off the ground, it would certainly be interesting to know how the OP got on.

It's true that woodworking clubs are a rarity in the UK but there is another option and that is Men's Sheds. They are community workshops often with woodworking at the core and are springing up all over the place. Definitely worth investigating and a useful site to start your research would be the UK Men's Shed Association website.

There is a map on their site listing about 120 sheds up and down the country including one in Cardiff and one in Bridgend, some of the 'Sheds' are established and some are in the embryonic stage. I started a thread on Men's Sheds as I am hoping to see one started where I live. I have also made a website to help kick start it.

regards

Brian

Thanks a lot for your post Brian. You have shared some great information here, I will definitely check out your website and your posts.

Thanks!

Alikingravi":23sey9nh said:
flat n smooth":23sey9nh said:
Hi
this is my first post

Hi All,

I came across this thread today as I have recently developed an interest in wood working. I thought this thread was dead over 4 years ago but I see a couple of people have recently shown some interest.
I am mainly interested in Instrument Building (Guitars) as I have been playing guitar for about 14 years now. I have recently found an expert luthier who is building my own custom designed electric guitar (but he is based in Cornwall). Obviously I know a lot about playing the instrument but I know nothing about how it is built. So after months and months of research, I have come to know that this work is super duper intricate and requires a lot of experience and skill (well I knew that before as well but now I understand the true value of craftsmanship and how long it takes to do a "fine" job).

By profession I am a Microchip design engineer and I work in Newport, South Wales. I am looking for an experienced wood craftsman or a luthier who is up for giving some wood crafting lessons to me. Since I am quite busy most of the time I was hoping to get 1 class a week for a couple of hours. I am planning to build a home workshop, but that is far from becoming a reality at the moment but it is my future endeavour. I was hoping to learn the basics and practice (maybe assist someone with their projects etc) so that when I finally build my own workshop I can build by own guitar! That would just be awesome! (hammer)

Anyway, please reply to this message if you are interested and we can work out how to get started. Thank you for your time. :)

Best Regards,
Ali

Hi Ali,

When I worked as a press photographer I covered a job where a guy living in Ebbw Vale made his own guitars in a workshop at the back of his house. He won some award hence the photo job but I also know he used to hold workshops in Ebbw vale teaching the youngsters how to make guitars. If I were you I would give Blaenau Gwent Council a phone call and ask them if they can give you any information as to if this guy is still holding classes and I'll see if I can find anything out myself. I'm retired now so have no contact with the office anymore otherwise I could have gone through the archives to get a phone number for you.

Hi Grayo,

Wow, thanks a lot for the link. This sounds like something that could help me out. I will give them a call. Thanks a lot for your help!

Cheers,
Ali

No problem, let me know how you get on. By the way I'm from Newport as well born and bred.

Hi all,

I'm amazed that this thread has continued and I'm sorry for not checking it sooner - this thread is now no.2 on Google searches for woodworking clubs in South Wales :p

I'm still keen; I have no workshop to host, but am chair of my local scout hall which happens to lie dormant on most Saturdays (Llantwit Fardre).

I'm happy to arrange a date over the next month or two - I'm off for surgery next week but should be ok after a week or so.

Who's in?

Pleased to report we now have two members! If anyone would like to join us, leave a reply below or pm me.

Back