starter lathe for bowl turning?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Martin,
I'm sorry to say that, speaking for myself, there isn't much I can say that's positive about Clarke lathes.

I know of two types sold by Clarke and they are overpriced for what they are, poorly designed and poorly made.

My first lathe was the Nutool version of this lathe...
http://www.amazon.co.uk/CLARKE-TURNING-LATHE-SPEED-940mm/dp/B008R6T3PC

It was noisy, it was almost impossible to get the head and tailstocks lined up - forget the kiss test, didn't go slow enough for out-of-balance stuff and the quill winding wheel was hopeless and broke in-use - I had to replace it with a wooden one.

The other one I know of is this one which in my opinion is probably even worse because it's also lightweight and flimsy in addition to the above complaints although the tailstock does appear to have a handle in the right place....
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sealey-SM13...ords=clarke+woodturning+lathes#productDetails

Sorry for being so brutal but you did ask.
Jon

The two lathes in your links are not the one I have. Mine is the CWL325V mini lathe, which for my use is perfect. I would not say that it is of poor manufacture, it obviously depends on what people want from their lathe. A few years ago, I bought a bandsaw from Aldi. That was a big mistake, firstly the blade snapped and the accuracy for cutting was not good at all. I would call that tool from Aldi, very poor quality, but people need to start somewhere. I probably will not upgrade from my present lathe, unless I do want to turn heavier projects.
Martin

Martin I have to admit I haven't used that lathe and so have no first hand knowledge of it but looking at the specs the lowest speed of 900 RPM seems very high to me and the tailstock wheel looks less than easy to turn. The price tag is not that cheap either.

...but if it suits your needs then fine.

For pretty much the same money (£15 more) I'd be tempted to go for the Axminster AWSL http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-hobby-series-awsl-woodturning-lathe-prod886581/

which still has a rather high lowest speed at 750 RPM IMHO but has the possibility to add a bed extension, uses MT2 fittings, a much better tailstock and although not variable speed seems better value for money to me. It's also 38 kg rather than 21kg and so is going to be less likely to vibrate in use.

HTH
Jon

I am using a small 3-jaw chuck with the lathe. I have to admit that when using the supplied faceplate, there is a slight vibration at full revs. Obviously, when this lathe is 'worn out' I will think about a replacement. I also have a metalworking mini lathe, which I purchased from Chester machine. The only Axminster tool I have is a small compressor, I use for spraying models. I did not think that the low speed was about 900rpm, but there again, I don't have a rev counter to check.
Martin

woodyturner":3t57e1rx said:
I have a very good Union Jubilee lathe with V/S in the for sale forum

You should give serious consideration to woodyturner's lathe it seems to have lots of gear with it and a nova chuck, unless that was sold. The really brilliant thing is variable speed, once you have used it it is hard to do without.

Regards
Peter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back